Septic trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

gundogblue

Reaction score
I posted about a month ago about a wet spot in my yard, we come to the conclution that it MIGHT be consiquential water because the problem did'nt start until we had about 6 inches of rain . The wet spot is still there, but so far nothing has backed up in my home, but I decided to get the septic tank pumped out. The septic tank is located under my deck, so I had to dis-assemble my deck, and when I got the deck boards off I found that there is a good-sized hole in the ground, and I can see septic water in it!!? I called a septic tank repairman and told him what I found and that I intend to have the septic tank pumped out, but he told me not to pump it out until he can come over and assese the situation. He will be here tomorrow morning. Do any of you guys have any idea what might be going on with my septic tank?
Thanks for any info,
Paul :confused:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I found that there is a good-sized hole in the ground, and I can see septic water in it!!?

As goofy as this would be, maybe somebody simply left your tank's access open for some reason a long time ago and you are seeing down into the tank. Having the tank pumped is a good idea from an overall maintenance standpoint, but yes, first be sure someone who knows septic systems does an overall assessment. Sometimes the pumper can do that, but not all pumpers are experienced installers and technicians.

Still having that wet spot out in your yard would seem to indicate a drainage problem of some kind.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure no expert on septic systems. Had one on the farm when I was a kid, but that's as close as I can come. That said, I gotta agree with Leejosepho. Get a professional assessment done by a qualified technician before doing anything more. The guy that does the actual pumping is most likely just a hired hand that can do the pumping job but isn't an expert technician able to diagnose the problems in the system. Another day or two won't make any difference now.

Last edited:

gundogblue

Reaction score
I have a septic repairman comming out tomorrow, Im in a hurry to get this problem resolved. But since I have never had to have any septic work done would it be better to get a couple estaments especially if the price is extreemly high, although I suspect that every aspect of septic system repair is going to be extreemly expensive.
Paul :confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I said previously, another day or two isn't going to matter. This is not something that has suddenly broken and must be repaired ASAP. Of course you don't want it to go on and on, but take a deep breath and get some estimates.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I will bet some "very smart" home owner when building the deck said to them self...

"wow how am I goig to get the lid off the tank after I build the deck when it needs to be pumped when suddenly
484989599_5b01bc0a5f.jpg
and they said I

know ...I'll just take the lid off now and leave it that way so it will be easy to pump later...I'll only have to take off a couple of boards to pump it...the stink won't be to bad and no one will get sick...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks