24" On Center Deck Joists, Code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
What is an allowable decking thickness for joists this far apart? I've looked in the deck codes I have access to and cannot find it.
I'm wondering if I can use 2x3s
Thanks for any replys!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Different species of wood have various strengths. 24" OC is pretty marginal, so to maintain deflection between the joists you'd want something substantial for the decking. This doesn't help much. What are the spans and sizes of the joist structure? Decking can help with racking of the framing, but does not help the along the joist strength; only between the joists. If the deck is large, I'd be leary about that spacing, regardless of the deck. You can't put many people on a really small deck!

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Thanks for the reply. I read through the link and like other sources there is no info. about decking thickness. This is probabaly obvious to most, but I haven't actualy found it stated in any code book.

Thanks for any replys!

Actually it makes it very clear at the top of the page that it's referring to 2X6 decking, which is very common when dealing with redwood.

HE

crater

Reaction score
Yea, In IA we a tearing decks that were built like that down. They were constructed with 2x4 decking material like cedar or maybe redwood (redwood is too expensive to build with in this area) and just did'nt last. The weather here just tears apart things that are'nt built heavy. As far as yor question goes, call your local building dept. they should be happy to assit you, wheather you like it or not your going to get the answer the're looking for when they inspect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks