Installing a pellet stove

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
I am installing a pellet stove and placing the exhaust vent through the window. I will be closing up the window in order to facilitate this, with a "removable" closure. My issue is that I need the material I build the "wall" out of to be non combustible as it will be touching the vent pipe from the stove. The vent pipe is double walled, but I'm not sure how hot it will get so I would like to be safe. Any Ideas? I was thinking of using wonderboard for the outside, and a sheet of insulation on the inside (not sure about its fire rating). I would then cut the 4 inch hole in the board and insulation to run the pipe through. I am going to seal it with the caulk that I am using on the inside of the pipes to connect them together. If it is rated for the inside (it came with the stove) of the vent pipe, it should be fine on the outside.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
a double-walled vent might allow direct contact with combustables...you need to read the installation instructions - it will list the required clearances.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Interestingly, I heard a news article today that the pellets are becoming in short supply, due to shortage of sawdust, caused by slowdown in the lumber industry, due to Barney Frank forcing freddie and fannie to give mortgages to a bunch of derelicts who could not afford it.

Blame Barney, blame Slick Willy and Osama bin Barack.

Shluffer

Reaction score
The pipe itself is rated to be within three inches of combustibles. After a quick trip to the borg, I have modified the plan. The vent is going to come up out of the stove, hit a 90 degree angle, and then enter into a box i am going to build. The box will sit where the lower sash of the window is currently. It will be mold resistant cement board on the outside and inside (I don't want to finish it so I need something water resistant) and will be filled with fiberglass insulation. The pipe will travel through the box in a wall thimble that I have purchased (it is designed for this purpose). I am going to attach the box to the window using L brackets, and use weatherstripping where the box hits the window to prevent scratching the window. Any thoughts?

Jimbo, you are correct that it is a little difficult to get pellets. My understanding is that there has been a large jump in demand as well as a decrease in the amount available due to the causes you mentioned. Interestingly, wood pellets are a waste product of the manufacturing process. Being a conservationist, I like that.

It amuses me that many of my conservative friends (me being to the right of most of them) recycle, use bio-fuels (pellets for example) and general try to act in an environmentally conservationist manner. My liberal friends push for it but don't do it them selves. I like to think that this result is sampling error (how many folks do I know already?) but I'm not sure.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It amuses me that many of my conservative friends (me being to the right of most of them) recycle, use bio-fuels (pellets for example) and general try to act in an environmentally conservationist manner. My liberal friends push for it but don't do it them selves. I like to think that this result is sampling error (how many folks do I know already?) but I'm not sure.

Well, we know that Mr. Global Warming ( Algore) is right out there....4 hummers, uses about a million gallons of water on his estate, flies private jets, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks