Can overhead service wire be run inside conduit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I need to run 50' of wire to carry at least 60 amps (220) to the subpanel in my attached workshop, and the cost of the wire is presently keeping that project on hold. I can get a used length of twisted, 100-amp (outdoor overhead) service wire from a friend for virtually nothing, and I am asking if there is any problem with running that wire through conduit from my basement to the new workshop. I would have to add a 4th strand for the ground, and all of that might fit inside 1" conduit.

Is there anything saying that particular service wire should not be run inside conduit and through walls?

Thank you!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably twisted and will be very hard to pull if there are any bends.

You should untwist it, use a larger conduit (not more than 40% fill), and get some lubricant. You will also need to have some means to apply more tension than you can apply by yourself, and someone to push on the inlet end.

Wire in conduit has a lower ampacity than is applied to overhead services applications.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I need to run 50' of wire to carry at least 60 amps (220) to the subpanel in my attached workshop ...

Can I use four strands of the wire in this picture?

Here is the auction description:

#6 AWG STRANDED INSULATED GROUND COPPER WIRE 250' ROLL

Wire reads: REPUBLIC WIRE 6 AWG TYPE MTW OR THHN OR THWN-2 600V OR GASOLINE AND OIL RES II (UL) OR AWM-VW-1 SUN RES OR C-(UL) TYPE T90 NYLON OR TWN 75 E167613 FT1

Thank you!

Attachments

• mt-586-250.jpg
    mt-586-250.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
garage

As an aside, your garage will probably have a subpanel and that should be grounded with a ground rod, not necessarily a ground wire back to the original panel.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
As an aside, your garage will probably have a subpanel and that should be grounded with a ground rod, not necessarily a ground wire back to the original panel.

ground rods are for lightning protection, not the ground your talking about. Oh, and attatched buildings with sub-panels do not require ground rods, but they do require 4 wires.

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Why dont you just go buy some 2/3 SER cable? good for 90 amps, or some 4/3 SER cable good for 65 amps. that wire is not that expensive.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To be specific, that ground wire does not carry an insulation rating which would allow you to use it for "hot" conductors. It may be perfectly fine, but it is not rated...so don't use it.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
FYI - As to the label on the package and it saying "Ground Wire", the Andrew company sells large satellite and microwave dishes which require grounding. Thus I think they are "repackaging" this wire and calling it ground wire.

Yes. I see, and that answers at least some questions I had. Thank you.

Why dont you just go buy some 2/3 SER cable? good for 90 amps, or some 4/3 SER cable good for 65 amps. that wire is not that expensive.

I do not know what SER cable is, but I will find out and take a look. There is a very reputable supply house nearby where I can get a contractor's price through my employer.

I did some homework on the auction wire and I believe it might be okay (including the temperature rating) if the conduit is sized properly and I color-code the four strands, but I will not likely spend the time to first be absolutely certain about all of that unless cost becomes a really big issue.

Thank you.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I do not know what SER cable is, but I will find out and take a look. There is a very reputable supply house nearby where I can get a contractor's price through my employer.

This is SER type cable
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet273

I did some homework on the auction wire and I believe it might be okay (including the temperature rating) if the conduit is sized properly and I color-code the four strands, but I will not likely spend the time to first be absolutely certain about all of that unless cost becomes a really big issue.

Thank you.

Unless that "free wire" is a Chapter 3 wiring method forget about it.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
No but you would have to install a messenger wire to support the cable from being pulled on with added weight such as the wind or ice.

EDITED TO ADD;

Just though about something and wanted to be clear on the fact that SE-R cable can not be installed underground with or without conduit.
338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Service-Entrance Cable. Service-entrance cable (SE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) Where subject to physical damage unless protected in accordance with 230.50(A)
(2) Underground with or without a raceway

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks