Suntec A2VA-7116 leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

TeePeeB

Reaction score
I think my pump is leaking. I have a small amount of oil leaking from the burner fan housing on my Beckett 2-oil-line (hot water) burner. I checked the fittings and the gun assembly and cannot find anything else leaking. How likely is it, that the oil pump seal failed and is leaking oil into the fan housing? Over the summer, I've collected a couple of Tablespoons of oil. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I appreciate any advise on this. Thank you - Tom

sibi1972

Reaction score
Tom,

I don't know anything about leaking oil pumps but I once took off my oil pump, found it to be completely clogged, there as a internal screen in there that was filled with sludge/muck, cleaned it all up and put it together and it worked fine.

Might be something you could consider doing.

Sibi

TeePeeB

Reaction score
Thanks Sibi

I will try that, plus a guy at Home Depot suggested raising the tilt of the gun assembly; supposedly a few drops of oil can be deposited in the gun assembly when firing stops, and if it is tilted back it run out the fan housing. He also said, if the pump blew a seal, you'd have a very big mess, not just a couple of tablespoons over the summer. Thanks for the reply - Tom

sibi1972

Reaction score
Titling the gun is something I don't know too much about but the new Beckett gun I have states in the instructions to tilt it back a bit when installing it.

So maybe yours is supposed to be that way.

Sibi

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
New definition of insanity. Working on oil burners with no instruction or experiance.

sibi1972

Reaction score
After just shy of 60 years I've found that DOING is a good teacher and when things get tough, ask questions.

Sibi

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just shy of 60 years I've discovered that fires and expolsions happen real fast.

sibi1972

Reaction score
So after just shy of 60 years you've learned about pyrotechnics and new a definition for insanity. Thank you for sharing that but this guy has a boiler problem, did he not come to the right place for help?

Sibi

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, the right place would be his trained and hopefully licensed oil burner technician.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I think my pump is leaking. I have a small amount of oil leaking from the burner fan housing on my Beckett 2-oil-line (hot water) burner. I checked the fittings and the gun assembly and cannot find anything else leaking. How likely is it, that the oil pump seal failed and is leaking oil into the fan housing? Over the summer, I've collected a couple of Tablespoons of oil. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I appreciate any advise on this. Thank you - Tom

The seal could leak and the amount of leakage could be small or large depending on how bad it is. Unfortunately it would be really hard to replace the seal and that means you are likely looking at a new pump.

I think my pump cost $90 last time I bought one... but that was a long time ago.

TeePeeB

Reaction score
update

The guy at Home Depot happens to be a retired Licensed Plumber. So far raising the gun assembly may have worked; I'm keeping the tray underneath just in case. BTW - It is easy to recommend using licensed professionals, but my wife and I cannot afford $100/hour professionals, who also double the price of materials; we're just simple country folks trying to get by. Also, I found that Suntec pump online for $55 (including shipping) at Patriot Supply. It is $85 in Home Depot. Imagine what the bill could be from a professional - maybe $270. Thanks to all for your comments.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The guy at Home Depot happens to be a retired Licensed Plumber. So far raising the gun assembly may have worked; I'm keeping the tray underneath just in case. BTW - It is easy to recommend using licensed professionals, but my wife and I cannot afford $100/hour professionals, who also double the price of materials; we're just simple country folks trying to get by. Also, I found that Suntec pump online for $55 (including shipping) at Patriot Supply. It is $85 in Home Depot. Imagine what the bill could be from a professional - maybe $270. Thanks to all for your comments.

Yes indeed, Imagine :eek:

What do you simple country folks do about the dentist and the doctor ? Or do you diy those things also?

Oh, I'm sorry, something as innocuous as an oil burner couldn't possibly hurt anyone, or burn their house down in the middle of the night.

sibi1972

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else but for me, things are tough in these hard times. Saving some money on home repairs where you can isn't a slam on those who do it professionally.

I'm here in this forum and I think this guy is also because we need some help and this looks like the place to find it.

From my perspective, if I do my own plumbing which I have done for many years then YES there is a professional somewhere that lost some jobs.

My real trade has always been as an electrician. I don't like to give electrical advise on forums because I don't know who will read it and what they might do with it.

At some point, when someone asks an electrical question and the answer looks to be something they cannot do, I usually explain that to them. And WHY. Even if it looks like it hurts. But getting mad at them because they won't call an electrician doesn't help anyone. That's how I see it anyway.

Just an example. Your rewiring the entire house, EVERYTHING is working out fine but your unsure about what to do with 3 and 4 way switches. So a little circuit advise is in order. That's not the same as the guy who needs a 220 line and doesn't know where to start. That guy NEEDS an electrician. But get mad at him because he wans't to save some money but cannot do it himself? Naw. I don't.

Sibi

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
not really sure if it "mad" or exaspiration :D Either way there a just some things that need leaving alone if you don't have the knowledge.

Snoman

Reaction score
Easy job professional not needed

Attempted to fire up the furnace in my camp (hasn't been used in 10 years). Burner motor would not turn. Through some simple investigation it was determined that the pump was seized up. Just ordered a new A2VA-7116 pump on line. Total cost was $55 with taxes and delivery. Disassembled the old one to find out why it didn't work. Everything was gummed up and corroded. It took 10 minutes to remove the old one so I expect it should take 10 minutes to install the new one (two bolts and two flair fittings). All other components on the furnace work (once pump was removed) Hope this was the only problem! If not then I'll still be ahead of the game if a professional needs to be called in. S far as replacing the pump it appears so simple even a caveman could do it! Extending the exhaust flu through the new roof that has been built-not quite so simple I bet! That will require some research to make it safe and code compliant.

Attachments

• geico-caveman.jpg
    geico-caveman.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 945
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No doubt that changing a pump ain't rocket science although... once you have it changed did you check the pressure because though oil pumps come factory set at 100 lbs, many burner manufacturers and service technicians will crank the pump pressure up as high as 150 lbs or so and drop the nozzle size to get better fuel atomization so without a pressure gauge, a pressure/nozzle rate chart and a combustion analyzer your job is only half done.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Let me pipe up here.

The OP is making a possibly valid risk tradeoff. We all do.

If you walk out to your car in a thunderstorm you have traded a very small chance [60 fatalities per year in the US out of 330 M people] of losing something very valuable, your life, in exchange for wanting to run an errand.

Once informed of the risks and possible outcomes, adults make their own decisions [unless the government prevents them].

the dentist and the doctor ? Or do you diy those things also?

If this 1676 page book
http://www.amazon.com/Grays-Anatomy-Human-Body-30th/dp/081210644X
were the same size as a factory service manual for any machine, I might. . . :D

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001943916_caesarean01.html

Last edited:

Mgrande

Reaction score
Clever

Yes indeed, Imagine :eek:

What do you simple country folks do about the dentist and the doctor ? Or do you diy those things also?

Oh, I'm sorry, something as innocuous as an oil burner couldn't possibly hurt anyone, or burn their house down in the middle of the night.

Well, we borrow from our mortgage money for those situations. You know, you sound more like some teenage wiseguy then an older wise man. Try changing your delivery so you don't sound like a useless jerk. Have a sparkling day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks