Looking for a low cost propane room heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi…I’m trying to find a low cost venting, (from the outside) propane heater. It is for a small apartment, (approx 250 square feet). All of the ones I have found on the web, are around the $600.00 to $700.00 range and up. I don’t really feel comfortable with the heaters that (use the air from inside of the room) monitor the oxygen in the air, because there will be people that sleep in the apartment, (for the danger of CO poisoning). I can’t use electric heat, because the main breaker is so small…older building, and everything runs off of gas.

Any suggestions?

Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You CANNOT use an open flame burner in any sleeping area. The external intake/exhaust units ARE expensive, because they are more than just a burner.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

You CANNOT use an open flame burner in any sleeping area. The external intake/exhaust units ARE expensive, because they are more than just a burner.

Thanks HJ,

This heater will be for a client/friend of mine that has some small hotel type rental houses in Wilcox Az. She found one of those, “Mr. Heater portable propane heaters†on the web, and that’s what she wanted to use. I told her the same thing, about not being able to use that type of heater in those houses.
I did find her some bolt on to the wall type heaters one the web that have the heat exchanger so no flame is in the house, but I was hoping that someone might know where she could get one a little cheaper then the ones I found.

Thanks again,

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
For 250 Sq. Ft. why not go with an electric heater?

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Elec heat no good.

For 250 Sq. Ft. why not go with an electric heater?

From what she’s told me, these little rental units were built like in the 40’s, and the power supply to the main panels is almost noting. She says that with just one small electric heater on low, and the TV and some lights on it blows the main breaker. Everything there runs off of gas…stove, HWT, dryer etc. She said she looked into getting the electric company to come out and give her a bigger service, but it would cost her a lot to up grade her side of it.
I know, it seems a little strange to me too that the electric panel out there wouldn’t handle such a small load. I should tell her that I’d go out there and check out the electrical system, but damn that’s a long drive….LOL.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks