Screw in Waste Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy Beru

Reaction score
Hello:

I need some advice. I was installing shelves in a closet and while driving a screw realized from the feel of it that it was not going into a stud but rather a verical PVC waste pipe from the bathroom upstairs ( I remembered the pipe being there after the fact). It is not leaking, but the question is, should I repair it now? I did a search for similar problems but all seemed to recommend a coupler. It is a large pipe (probably 3.5 inch) with no clearance behind the drywall, so I'm not sure how a coupler would work out. As I am not a plumber, just a DIYer, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The pipe would probably be 3"ID pipe or possibly 4"ID

The way I usually take care of these is to get a slip coupling, cut a section out of it as shown below, then prime and glue it up, snap it on turn it a bit to get a good bond then hold it tight for a bit.

Your wall clearance sounds like it may be a problem.

pvcslipcoupling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If this is a hack fix then shoot it down...
Would a section of a fernco coupling, enough to create a tight seal and then the hose clamps tightened down do the trick¿ For sure the clamps would slip through the tight clearance between the pipe and wall.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A section of fernco would never make a seal and to get a whole one in place you would have to cut in 2 places. Then pull out a section and put 2 fernco proflexes or, no-hubs in place.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A section of fernco would never make a seal and to get a whole one in place you would have to cut in 2 places. Then pull out a section and put 2 fernco proflexes or, no-hubs in place.

Worling in condo's I can't begin to tell you haow mayn times the idiots that install the shelving, screw thorugh the pipe. I have made this same repair many many times with great sucess. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there that's done it.

Billy Beru

Reaction score
The way I usually take care of these is to get a slip coupling, cut a section out of it as shown below, then prime and glue it up, snap it on turn it a bit to get a good bond then hold it tight for a bit.

Your wall clearance sounds like it may be a problem.

pvcslipcoupling.jpg

Thanks Redwood. I like the idea of using a slip coupling cut to size. I think I can deal with the wall clearance by getting creative with my drywall patch. After all, it is in the closet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks