Bathroom- Converting single vanity to double

Users who are viewing this thread

NewJerseyJC

Reaction score
Hi all. Hope someone can help me with this bathroom remodel.

- Converting a single vanity to a double vanity.
- The problem is that the new vanity has drawers in the middle (between both sinks) and cannot connect two "P traps" underneath.
- So looks like I need to change the plumbing in the wall. A pic of the existing pluming is attached.
- I was thinking about doing the following:
- Putting in a T to the left of the existing drain
- Cutting pipe and inserting 1 1/2 pvc to the right of the T
- And then putting in an elbow to the right of the existing drain.
- This would then give me two drains to connect two "P traps" to.
- Existing drain would obviously be eliminated by putting in the T, the 1 1/2" pipe and new elbow.

So will with work? Or are there other considerations and/or concerns? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional info:
- Current plumbing is 1 1/2" pvc with one drain.
- Vanity is 5' long. The distance between the sinks is 33" on center.
- Local plumbing code is based on "2006 National Standard Plumbing Code" but its all greek to me here's the link http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/Depts/Technical/2006NSPCNonIllustratedWeb.pdf

Attachments

• Vanity Sink pic for post.jpg
    Vanity Sink pic for post.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 12,148

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
That will work. Put a san tee at first connection and a 90 at your second connection. You should try to have the water line's piped to the proper location also.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
NO.

You cannot inline traps.

Find your center of the double bowl vanity, use a cross-tee with a vent going up the center and back towards the vent stack.

You already have a trap arm that's too long for most standards by code. 3' 6" I believe is max on 1.5".

My state follows the NPC.

Max distance from that vent in the center would be 1' 6" which is doable.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That will work. Put a san tee at first connection and a 90 at your second connection. You should try to have the water line's piped to the proper location also.

Lots of things wrong with that idea!
A sani-tee laying flat...
Venting...
Sheesh!

Is that allowed in Wisconsin?

Whats next flex traps and extensions?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
New Jersey uses the National Standard Plumbing Code/2006

I am not familiar with it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sinks

NO CODE allows a five foot 1 1/2" arm. And you cannot install the tee that way on any arm, much less a 1 1/2" one. The water flowing past the tee can create a venturi effect and compromise the trap seal. As a practical matter, there is almost no way to do what you want to with that drain and do it legally or properly.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
NO CODE allows a five foot 1 1/2" arm. And you cannot install the tee that way on any arm, much less a 1 1/2" one. The water flowing past the tee can create a venturi effect and compromise the trap seal. As a practical matter, there is almost no way to do what you want to with that drain and do it legally or properly.

Vent to trap by means of a San tee.@ 1/4" per foot 5'82.31-1 Wi state code. And yes you can tie the waste in when you common vent like that.. if your local code permits. I can't help everyone else does it backward's.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The key words are 'if your local code permits', which is seldom the case for a configuration such as this. Especially with a 1 1/2" arm. I guess since WI allows pedestal traps under the floor they allow almost anything, must use the IPC or a derivative of it.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
The key words are 'if your local code permits', which is seldom the case for a configuration such as this. Especially with a 1 1/2" arm. I guess since WI allows pedestal traps under the floor they allow almost anything, must use the IPC or a derivative of it.

You can countinue to talk about the pedestal trap under the floor, but I have yet to install one. I will look at the upc and start picking that apart.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Last edited:

NewJerseyJC

Reaction score
Dual Drain- Proposed Configurations

NO.
Find your center of the double bowl vanity, use a cross-tee with a vent going up the center and back towards the vent stack.

Ok. Forget about the picture I posted which shows what this currently looks like. I am attaching 3 figures of some scenarios. Let me know what you think. I think Figure A is what you were getting at. Figure B was just a thought and Figure C I'm thinking is last resort.

Attachments

• Bath diagram Fig A.jpg
    Bath diagram Fig A.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7,264
  • Bath diagram Fig B.jpg
    Bath diagram Fig B.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,922
  • Bath diagram Fig C.jpg
    Bath diagram Fig C.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 9,274

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Figure C with a double fixture fitting would be correct.
A cleanout above the double fixture fitting would be good also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drawing

C is the correct one using the proper fittings. One problem is that your existing drain arm is too high to do it that way, which is why I said there is no way to do it properly given your configuration. figures A & B both still have the right hand sink flowing past an unvented left hand drain.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be legal to connect as original pic posted if you lived in Wi. I guess we are the only one's who figured out how to run plumbing efficiently.:cool:

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I live in WI and have read the code. Pretty sure san-tee cannot lie like that, only to be used in vertical applications similar to UPC - IPS says the same I'm assuming? 101 what code are you reading, COMM8X????

Would figure A work? Probably, the chances of a venuturi effect emptying the left trap are small, esp. with the vent in the right spot now. But, code is code.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I live in WI and have read the code. Pretty sure san-tee cannot lie like that, only to be used in vertical applications similar to UPC - IPS says the same I'm assuming? 101 what code are you reading, COMM8X????

Would figure A work? Probably, the chances of a venuturi effect emptying the left trap are small, esp. with the vent in the right spot now. But, code is code.

You did not read the code right if at all. 82.31(11)(b) Common vent's for horizontal drains. It's the same as the first fitting downstream of fixture can be a short sweep.If you have a single lav and is on a arm that first 90 is short sweep. First fitting only! If you have a double lav hotizontal common vent the same rule's apply for second sink tie in. How could the drain from one sink empty another on a lav, it's not located at a base of a stack where something like that is more likely to happen. The water running thru drain is not that strong to even cause such effect. Look closer before you try calling me out.

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
ok, simmer down :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to check that out - like I said, I'm no expert on nuances of the code like that one.

I agree - venturi effect as mentioned above is not likely to happen - esp. with the vent added to prevent vacuum pulling water out of left trap.

Update - checked code quick, and it does appear that you are right, however 82.31(11)(b) also states that the vent shall be located downstream from BOTH fixtures. So, none of the above illustrations are legal in WI. But, it does appear that you can use the san-tee on it's side to connect the downstream lav to the horizontal branch.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
union

MP101, are you really a union plumber. If so that may explain it if you are one of the bench riders who waits for a big construction project before you sign on with a company. That is how I got my first job when I moved to this area. None of those guys wanted the one I got, and then after a couple of years they all were trying to bump me back onto the bench,(because the union was trying to keep me from being able to transfer in).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of course any talk of Wisconsin code in this posting is off subject as New Jersey uses National Standard Code 2006.

Somehow I believe that may just maybe be closer to UPC or, IPC in it's requirements. Just Maybe!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Ok. Forget about the picture I posted which shows what this currently looks like. I am attaching 3 figures of some scenarios. Let me know what you think. I think Figure A is what you were getting at. Figure B was just a thought and Figure C I'm thinking is last resort.

Figure C is the one that NPC allows for your application.

If you went with your first drawing, "worst case scenario" if you filled sink #2 and dumped it, it would suck trap #1 dry allowing sewer gases to escape. Prime example; Men shaving, women cleaning hair brushes or undergarments, bikinis.

This is a commonly asked question in my area and the code prevents future problems down the road. Basically to install a non-fouling plumbing system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks