Tub Spout w/Backsplash - Need Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

rjboykin

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but I will give it a shot. I've been working on remodeling my bathroom and I am close to being finished. I'm now at the point of changing out the old tub spout for the new one. The copper pipe sticks out and has no threads. So I need the slip-on spout that tightens with the hex screw. When the tub is running there are no leaks. When I pull on the spout PIN for the shower the water comes out of the shower head great, but at the same time I have water shooting from the front of the spout back into the walk. I have smoothed out the copper pipe, used plumbers grease to slip on the spout, put in new O-Rings. It looks like when tightening the hex screw it may have been too tight causing the copper pipe to not be a perfect round shape. I have taken a pair of pliers and shaped it back, by looking at it, it looks completely round. Can anyone give me any advance as to what is causing my backsplash issue. My old spout worked find. Now just taking it off and putting a new one on is causing me a lot of headaches and much add stress. I would hate to call a plumber to just put on a spout.

Thanks for your help,

Joey

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be the o-ring where the tub spout slip's on to, or maybe you need a diverter gate repair kit. If it is spout you just purchased, take it back and exchange it for a new one.

rjboykin

Reaction score
It could be the o-ring where the tub spout slip's on to, or maybe you need a diverter gate repair kit. If it is spout you just purchased, take it back and exchange it for a new one.

I will try another spout. The diverter gate repair kit, it that something that require knock some of my tile out to repair?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some spouts can be rebuilt (thus the kit). Often, it is just cheaper to replace, depends on the spout. Your pipe is probably not smooth enough and a new spout may not help...the o-rings can only flex and fill in very minor imperfections. Also, make sure that there are no burrs on the end of the pipe - they could slice the o-ring on the way in.

Delta makes a spout that could be used, but requires soldering an adapter on, then you screw the spout on. The trick is to get the adaper at exactly the right position so the spout ends up tight and not sticking out too far.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will try another spout. The diverter gate repair kit, it that something that require knock some of my tile out to repair?

No, but as pointed out it would be cheaper an less time consuming to re place spout. Measure and see where rounded portion of pipe is compared to o-ring connection. If pipe is to rounded and can't make it work you would have no choice but to solder a 1/2" male adt on and get a 1/2" threaded spout. You have to be exact on your measurement.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Get a Delta RP5834 tub spout and install it!
By far the easiest installation there is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks