Moen Posi-Temp valve adjusts by itself

Users who are viewing this thread

viaamable

Reaction score
It was installed with new construction 17 months ago and worked great until recently. Now you really have to be careful before getting in the shower, because on 3 occasions it has changed from a setting of about 4-1/2 to 8, the highest temperature, all by itself. There are only 2 of us living here so I'm sure this is not some sort of sick practical joke or an accidental turning. Has anyone else had this problem?

viaamable

Reaction score
Thanks, Rugged, will do! Curious - what is Plan B? And BTW, I agree re unions; here on Maui a tile setter is not allowed to remove nor replace a toilet and it really gets time consuming not to mention annoying and expensive.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Thanks, Rugged, will do! Curious - what is Plan B? And BTW, I agree re unions; here on Maui a tile setter is not allowed to remove nor replace a toilet and it really gets time consuming not to mention annoying and expensive.

Jeezil pete! That's some serious politics! One man can't do another man's job or it's to the hall!

Plan B would be to do a backflush of the valve to see if dirt/debri somehow got inside that valve or something is causing the balancing spool inside it to incorrectly "adjust" when there is pressure changes.

But then again, it could just be a simple plastic component of that cartridge that's lacking a tight fit and allowing it to spin more than it should, let alone the possibility of unintentional misuse. Hard to tell. :confused:

viaamable

Reaction score
Yeah, we even had one PLUMBER refuse to replace a toilet because he had once broken one. Maui ain't the Mainland. Our present plumber lives right down the street but works 4o mi. away and sends a helper for work in our area because he doesn't want to be bothered by neighbors after hours.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yeah, we even had one PLUMBER refuse to replace a toilet because he had once broken one. Maui ain't the Mainland. Our present plumber lives right down the street but works 4o mi. away and sends a helper for work in our area because he doesn't want to be bothered by neighbors after hours.

I "sorta" represent that statement about not working for neighbors, only because I never ask anything of them, and sometimes it's not profitable.

Live one street up from me and I'm game.....but not viewing distance.

It's a comfort thing as you gain age and wisdom, gray hairs of been there done that scenarios.

There's an old lady next door who's 100 years old, the family all take turns taking care of her.....

I've been there probably 10 times fishing for dentures in the toilet, toilet issues, simple stuff which is great..BUT

I know they are doing the labor of love thing for their mom, I surely wish I had a mom to take care of and it's merely a timetable before she goes.

I don't "have" to make a premium when in situations like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks