When I retire...

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
...I am going to become a full-time licensed plumber.

It was that or fix up an old vintage sports car while spending the rest of the year on a cruise ship.

That was the first thing I thought on this Sunday morning as I woke up and dreaded the thought of going back to the office tomorrow. Only 29 more years of this to go.

Just thought I would share that with you.:)

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... as I woke up and dreaded the thought of going back to the office tomorrow ...

There might not even be any licensed plumbers, vintage sports cars or cruise ships in another 29 years, so just go on ahead and make your move now! My wife and I bought a motorcycle and made several month-long sight-seeing trips a few years ago while we were still agile enough to do so, and now we are headed toward doing something similar with our vintage bus. For most folks, retirement is only a fantasy never actually realized. So, git 'er done now!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you feel that way now I doubt you will still be doing it 28 years from now.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
No, just kidding. I enjoy my job really, not least because there is lots of travel. But sometimes the grass always looks greener on the other side. I was just trying to provoke some debate. Which obviously failed.

Perhaps in my later years, I'll start with the easy commercial stuff first before turning to become a real professional residential plumber.

Cookie

Reaction score
I plan on working until I am too old to breathe. I may change my profession a number of times, because I have that option. I think people are afraid sometimes to change. To me that a big mistake. That is what life is about. But to retire to me that is to stand still and I don't do that too well. I am always in motion. Some people retire and go fishing everyday. That is fine and good, I love to fish but, I also like to work. Just sometimes it is that I like to work at different things. So, I can wear many hats because I learned many things. This is different than being a Jack of all trades and Master of none, because actually, I incorporate all those things together. I have education in so many things, yet, I am not a professional student either. I may retire at teaching kids with autism, I retired at a couple of other things already, but to write, now that is something I will never retire at. That I can do while catching a fish, soaking in a bath, making dinner, making whoopee, ( ok, maybe not) but I write about all my experiences learned or done and make money at it. I will write from my death bed I got a feeling. (you know money for the other side)

I think, if you find who are you, you will never retire from it until, your body won't cooperate and leaves you having to find another option.

Life is funny, I knew at age 13 when I wrote manifestos about the woes in my life that I was to be a writer. My first piece published in a leading magazine at age 15. But, I knew I needed all the experiences, I needed to broaden my horizons, so when someone asked me, " do you really want to be a teacher?" I would say, " nope.' When someone asked me, " do you really want to study cosmetology?" I would say, " nope." When someone asked me do you really want another degree?" I would answer, " nope."

People just never asked the right question.

I was looking for all of life's experiences so I could write about it. I can now sell you a house, I designed, I can stay and fix your hair, and teach your kids, and if you are real sweet to me, fix your radio. Then, later you can read about it in the newspaper.

I fell in love with living. Me? Retire? Nope. I wouldn't know from what.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The best thing I ever did was to get into teaching. Something I never would have thought I could do or even like for that matter. But it's great. The kids keep me young and there's so very very much to do all the time. Never a dull moment. Trying to find new and different ways to teach is a blast. I love having accesss not only to my plumbing & HVAC shop, but also the machine shop, the metal shop, automotive shop and all the toys. It's like christmas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks