Electrical Outlet For Welding

Users who are viewing this thread

willplunk

Reaction score
I have a Chicago Electric ( China) welding machine. It's a Dual Mig 131, Rated AC input 120 volts, 1 phase, 60 hertz, 21 amp. The electrical cord has a regular plug with 14AWGx3c wire. Can I install a 30 amp breaker in the main panel, and come off to a 30 amp receptecal. Then use a 50' extension cord to work outside. Would 12/3 wire be OK for the cord or would I need 10/3. Would this work OK? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Will

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I have a Chicago Electric ( China) welding machine. It's a Dual Mig 131, Rated AC input 120 volts, 1 phase, 60 hertz, 21 amp. The electrical cord has a regular plug with 14AWGx3c wire. Can I install a 30 amp breaker in the main panel, and come off to a 30 amp receptecal. Then use a 50' extension cord to work outside. Would 12/3 wire be OK for the cord or would I need 10/3. Would this work OK? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Will

is the cord on the welder a factory cord? if so, thats the voltage and amperage you have to use.

willplunk

Reaction score
Yes, the 14AWGx3c stamped on the welding cord is the factory cord, The welder is new and has never been used. The 21 amp input confuses me as 14/3 is not rated for that much, right. The wall sockets are 15 amp, so I couldn't use them. Any suggestions and thanks Chris75 for the reply. Will

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The specs on most of the homeowner style welders show a fairly low duty cycle. Try the welder on a 15 Amp circuit and see if the breaker holds.

You may want to get a 20 Amp circuit to minimize voltage drop.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The #10 wire cord will work much better than the #12.

I have a 120V lincoln wire welder and it needs all the juice it can get. I can see a difference in performance when I use a long #12 cord vs no cord. It still works and doesn't kick the breaker but it's not as "hot" and doesn't penetrate properly.

20 amp breaker will hold but use #10 conductors and cord.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks