Toto Drake vs. Toto Eco Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorgwart

Reaction score
I'm replacing a 36-year-old builder-installed toilet and, after extensive research, have settled on a Toto Drake. I need the Round-bowl model because it's going in a VERY small bathroom and the elongated would stick out too far. I'm disappointed to see the Toto Drake Round doesn't come in the ADA height though, because I would prefer that. I notice the Toto Drake Eco Round DOES come in ADA height, but the flush system is different (G-Max Technology @ 1.6 GPF in the Drake Round vs. E-Max Flushing @ 1.28 GPF in the Drake Eco Round). Is it worth sacrificing the G-Max in order to gain the toilet height I'd prefer or am I better off staying with the 1.6 GPF lower model? Please take into account how well/completely each model flushes and any differences in cleaning the bowl because of flushing capacity. Also, can the Drake Round be ordered with CEFIONTECT, and if so, is it worth it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Eco tank can go on any of the Drake bowls.
Round
Elongated
Elongated with CEFIONTECT
ADA

The round has no CEFIONTECT option
Nor does the ADA.

If you are looking for a high round bowl, Toto makes the Dalton, CST733F
I had the elongated Dalton installed for a while. It worked well.

Last edited:

Snorgwart

Reaction score
Drake vs. Dalton

But again, would I be sacrificing flushing ability for the height? The Dalton doesn't seem to be as highly rated/regarded as the Drake.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Eco-Drake Elongated Map test 600
Eco-Drake Regular Rim Map test 500

Dalton Elongated Map test 650
Dalton Regular Rim Sorry no Map test, but i would guess it isn't that bad.

nnotsoo

Reaction score
flush map

ada height gives better flush rating, waterfall-gravity= better flush/ Dalton has small 2" flapper opening, Drake has 3" opening, you want height? raise flange and build toilet on a pedestal , you'll have a real 'throne'!!

paco6772

Reaction score
More info on 1.6 gpf Drake or 1.28 gpf Eco Drake

Hi Terry:

Hello from British Columbia! Love your site as it is obviously the only one with intelligent information about Plumbing and especially toilets!

I have perused through your site over the last week or so but I cannot find a definite comment from you re: 1.6 gpf Drake (CST744) or 1.28 gpf Eco Drake (CST 744E) as it seems you have now installed a few around.

Here in Canada (December 2009), only the Eco Drake is readily available from established plumbing warehouses?

Can you please comment on the pro and cons of Eco Drake flush versus "Regular" Drake?

As we have no rebates of any kind here in Canada, would you still buy the 1.6gpf if it was still readily available or would you now go for the Eco at 1.28gpf?

Also, what are your thoughts on Sanigloss? Is it s must/worth the extra $$ for such a reputable toilet as the Drake?

I have two teenagers and keep on walking around with my plunger working on my 16 year cheap Eljer toilets that are now past their prime (if prime they ever were!)

Looking forward to your or any memeber's comments in addition to yours,
Thank you kindly,

Pascal

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer them with CEFIONTECT, they do stay cleaner.

And if you can get the 1.6 tank, it does have the slight edge,
though, the 1.28 flushes fine, and if you need more water for either, you can just hold the handle down a moment or two longer.

I have two 1.28 in my home now, and a 1.6

paco6772

Reaction score
More info on 1.6 gpf Drake or 1.28 gpf Eco Drake

Terry:

Your prompt asnwer was much appreciated.
Thanks for the clarifications well noted.
Thank you once again.

Pascal

Delta

Reaction score
10" rough options

Thanks for such an informative site. Supply valve is only 5" off-center, 10" rough in, 1940's bathroom with vintage pipes...Is there a Toto Drake in my future?

Will the new 10" rough CST7444EL.10 clear the supply valve? Alternatively, can the 1.6 gal Drake be adapted with 10" unifit, and would such an arrangement clear the supply valve @ 5" off-center? I think the soiree meets these specs, but that one's over my pay grade. Any other options you can suggest would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The C744EF.10 bowl can be used with the ST743E 1.28 gallon Watersense tank, or the ST743S 1.6 gallon tank.

It makes for a nice 10" rough toilet, with good performance, comfort height elongated bowl, and the choice of 1.28 or 1.6 depending on tank installed.
These will work with a 9-1/4" rough.

CST744EF.10 1.28 gallons
CST744SF.10 1.60 gallons

I carry both in the Seattle area.

cst744ef.10_rough.jpg

Last edited:

Chins

Reaction score
Drake tank and Drake II bowl?

The Eco tank can go on any of the Drake bowls.
Round
Elongated
Elongated with CEFIONTECT
ADA

The round has no CEFIONTECT option
Nor does the ADA.

If you are looking for a high round bowl, Toto makes the Dalton, CST733F
I had the elongated Dalton installed for a while. It worked well.

Hi Terry,
Like most of us I am doing a lot of research into toilets. So was thinking of a slight variation on the above. If I wanted an option for 1.6g tank, CEFIONTECT, and Double Cyclone could I use the Drake tank on a Drake II bowl? Would that work or is there a better option? Basically I want a toilet that can move a mountain of material (I don't think I am in the 1% but I am used to Caroma toilets in Aus that almost never clog, cant say the same from my US experience), good size water spot, and will stay clean (Unlike Caroma). The most recent MAP test show the Drake II should move the material, but thought double cyclone would give a better bowl wash than single cyclone. As for 1.6 v.s. 1.28, I would much prefer a single 1.6 flush then multiple 1.28's.

Thoughts?

Chins

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake II works great with 1.28
If you feel like using more, just hold the handle down, and you have 2.5 gallons. Would that be enough for you?
Way cleaner than the Caroma.

Chins

Reaction score
Yeah mate, that sounds like it will. I didn't know that holding the handle down added to the flush. I read about it somewhere else of the forum for another Toto but didn't put two and two together. So just out of curiosity now, do you think the Drank tank on a Drake II bowl would actually work?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
No, I do not think so. You have two Original Drake tanks: ST743S (1.6 gpf) and ST743E (1.28gpf). It's the same piece of china with different guts.

Also, you should be able to use the new Transitional Original Drake tank ST744E with that bowl, which would produce a CST744EFN.10 toilet.

But not the tank for the Drake II, which is for the Drake II and the Vespin II.

Chins

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks for the reply. I put in the Drake II today. Looks great, cant wait to use it in anger. Thanks for all the help.

Chins

Reaction score
Will do. I haven't had the opportunity to challenge it yet, but now that the calk is dry it is ready for action. :D

Chins

Reaction score
Ok, I have good news and bad news. The good news. I gave it a real test this morning and was pleased to see that it flushed a large deposit (deposit only no tp). Now the bad news. Then I used TP (same event, second flush) and it clogged, so I am not sure if it was the TP, didn't look like much, or the main event that caused the clog. So next time I will flush a second time with no TP to make sure the coast is clear and then try it with TP. Good grief, I hope I am not in the 1%.......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue with the 1% is infrequent bowl movements that tends to make them exceedingly long and hard...so hard, that they do not bend or break up much without help - really like passing a hard log.

Some people's view of how much TP is required differs a lot between one user and the next, so can't comment on whether that volume will become an issue. Some can go weeks between needing to get a new roll, some only days, so there's a big difference. Worst case, you hold the handle down and empty the tank when you have a 'really big one'. Otherwise, for most people, the normal press and release works.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The reality is that if you are a person who uses a lot of paper, especially if it's like Charmin Ultra, then you might wish to do yourself a courtesy flush of the first couple of wipes. Then keep going and the second batch should all go down at once. I know someone who uses half-a-roll per session, and it's Ultra Charmin (high-rag-content, doesn't break down like other paper does). That person requires the two-flush method.

Organic matter alone, on the other hand, is something that I absolutely defy people to clog a Drake with. Ain't gonna happen, except with the very rare kind of stuff Jim is talking about.

BTW My own experiments tend to show that the extra water (holding down the handle) doesn't really help with an extraordinary amount of Ultra Charmin. It just fills the bowl with water faster after the ultra charmin clogs the trapway. I'm still amazed how much I can actually flush with it however.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks