Where to get water heater anodes?

Users who are viewing this thread

mortimer

Reaction score
Looking for some places that have flexible magnesium anodes. Google is not really helpful in this case. The Big Box stores don't seem to carry. Live in Spokane, WA. Internet will also work.

Is an A. O. Smith FGR40 gas model. As it is 14 years old, I suspect that the original anode is gone.

Open to either replacing the original or using a combo rod.

Would prefer not having to drill out the existing holes for a larger diameter rod, as discussed at waterheaterrescue, due to clearance issues.

I saw one at the This Old House web site that would suit. It is segmented like a martial arts weapon.

Thanks in advance!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
14 year old heater

getting that old mag rod out of your heater might be
close to impossible....

sometimes you allmost have to kill the patient to
get out that rod.....they wont budge..

we have given up on a quite few
that was with one fellow
holding the heater frim in place and the other fellow
trying to pry the rod out with a heavy duty socket wrench
and a cheater bar.......

so before you go out and buy one......

might I suggest you see if the
old one is willing come out of that 14 year old heater
without turning into a "man hood " contest???

being that old, you might want to let sleeping dogs lie....

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Try this google search...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=Flexible+anode+rod+&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images
I have used the "Famous" one.

When replacing an anode if you attempt it using a regular wrench the twisting force on the water heater is very high and may cause damage. I use an electric impact wrench to change anode rods and it works very well. At the factory they are originally installed with an impact wrench.

As Mark posted your water heater is very old and depending on its condition sometimes it is best to let the sleeping dog lie.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There's also an obscure and expensive tool called a "torque amplifier" that fits on a large socket wrench and, as the name implies, amplifies the torque being applied. You might be able to borrow one from someone who owns and/or works on buses or trucks. I'm told they work well on anode rods. I've used impact wrenches, but always had visions of the glass lining breaking up when I use them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The torque multiplier still exerts a twisting force. There is a reaction bar that extends from it that could rest on the inlet or outlet pipe... They are used more on heavy equipment than anything else. Still might break something or, round off the nut. There is a reason why they use impact wrenches to put in anodes at the factory... Cause they figured out that it works!

x41.jpg

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
too much time on their hands .....with too little to do

I have not been to that site, but I cannot imagine ANYONE trying to drill a water heater so you could install a larger diameter anode rod.

they just have too much time on their hands
and they got to be absolutely nuts to try to drill out a anode nut to attempt to change it out.

I supppose you could get lucky with an impact wrench,
I have moved a water heater out of place before useing
the cheater bar and heavy duty socket....

I never promise the customer that I will get it out.

only that I will try .......

everybody must be slow today...............

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water Heater Anode Rod

Go To
Hotwater.com This The A.o.smith Website Go To Parts
They Can Send You A Flexible Anode Rod That Replaces The Hot Water Nipple At Top Of Water Heater,
Which Is Better Then Trying To Get Old Rod Out
Remember We Are Professionals Who Do This And We Would Not Attempt That On A Old Water Heater :d

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
thats a better idea Mc plumb

Go To
Hotwater.com This The A.o.smith Website Go To Parts
They Can Send You A Flexible Anode Rod That Replaces The Hot Water Nipple At Top Of Water Heater,
Which Is Better Then Trying To Get Old Rod Out
Remember We Are Professionals Who Do This And We Would Not Attempt That On A Old Water Heater :d

I had not thought of that, I suppose if you had to change out an anode rod , their is no rule that you got to remove the old one... just install a new one on the hot outlet port of the heater... who cares wether you remove th old one or not

you can get a replacement anode rod with the attached nipple about anywyere..... Bradford Whites anode rod is attached to the hot nipple

it would work fine

but it still is a lot of trouble..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks