Kitchen Sink Slow Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have to drain lines under the kitchen sink. On side has the discharge for the garbage disposal and the other side has the discharge from the larger sink base.

Recently I put a bunch of onion peels into the disposal and I had an immediate clog sitaution. I got out the plunger and went to town. I pulled the traps and they are all clear. I also ran a small snake into the pipes but the pipes make a sharp turn just below the surface and I didn't want to make a mistake so I pulle it out.

Here is what has been happening for the last couple of days. When I put water in the normal sink base it fills up but will drain after a short time. When I run the garbage disposal it drains right away but there is gurgaling on the non-garbage disposal side. If the garbage disposal has stuff in it and run the water a little bit of water will back up into the normal side but quickly drains.

Is there a chemical I could put down there that will disolve the onions peels? The sink is draining so would any chemical not be effective?

What is your recommendation?

Thanks

Tom

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would not recommend the use of any drain cleaning chemical.
You may use something like Bio-Clean as a drain maintainer but in your situation it is unlikely that it would give you the instant results you are looking for.

I would recommend using the services of a plumber to snake the line clear then use Bio-Clean to maintain it. I would also look inside the disposer to make sure that the grind chamber is in good condition. This is very important if you have one of the "Lower Grade" disposers like the Insinkerator Badger line installed. These have galv. steel grinding teeth and they do wear badly after a few years. If its one of the older blueish looking ones you don't have to look... It's Toast!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like Redwood mentions.
If the disposer is letting too large of pieces through, it's time for a blade replacement.
Insinkerator makes some new nicer models in the Pro series.
Some even have auto reversing blades.

And the line should be snaked out.
At one Thanksgiving, the kitchen drain got plugged with potato peals from the disposer. Not a good day for a sink problem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At one Thanksgiving, the kitchen drain got plugged with potato peals from the disposer. Not a good day for a sink problem.

We get hammered on drain cleaning calls the day after Thanksgiving!:D

A great day to go in early and stay out late!:cool:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My disposer is like brand new and it the middle of the road unit. It's the 3/4 horse power one. I guess I've got to call the plumber back. Man I've got a lot of money in plumbing calls on this place!

I'm sure that's music to ya'lls years.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks