Service Entrance Conduit Body Size

Users who are viewing this thread

TODSTUGS

Reaction score
Can Anyone Suggest What Size Conduit & Conduit Bodies Would Be Used For 200 Amp Overhead Service Between The Meter & The Main Panel. The Service Would Be Using 2/0 Thhn/thwn Cable. My Utility Requires A 2 1/2 Inch Pipe For A Freestanding Service Mast, However 2 1/2 Inch Pvc Conduit Seems Too Small Acording The The 2005 Nec. Any Suggestions Or Thoughts Would Be Appreciated.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Fwiw

Mine used to be overhead, and the metallic conduit to the weatherhead was 2 1/4" od, Now it's underground, and uses 2 1/2" NMC.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
My Utility Requires A 2 1/2 Inch Pipe For A Freestanding Service Mast, However 2 1/2 Inch Pvc Conduit Seems Too Small Acording The The 2005 Nec.
First off, your POCO requires 2.5" rigid for strength reasons, not fill reasons.

I'm not sure what 2005 NEC you are referring to, but the one I have states FIVE 2/0 THHN in a 2" Sch80 PVC.

2" is typical for a 200A service.

Don't forget, in NYS we do NOT use the NEC for one and two family dwellings. We use the NY Resi Code.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

What relevance does the requirement for 2 1/2" PVC have to do with your utility mast? The mast MUST be metallic conduit, and you use whatever size the utility tells you to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks