Kitchen faucet has less and less pressure -- now barely works

Users who are viewing this thread

eeka

Reaction score
I'm in an old house with 1980s-ish fixtures. My kitchen faucet has steadily declined from having crappy-but-not-unusually-so water pressure to its current state, where it's literally a very slow drip when opened up full blast. There's a sprayer attachment, the kind that comes off of both supply lines in the base of the faucet assembly. Sprayer works fine and hasn't lost any pressure -- it's how we now have to wash everything. I haven't tried replacing the supply lines, but there are no leaks under the sink and as I said, the sprayer works fine. Any ideas what could be causing this and what I'd do about it? I plan to rip out the whole kitchen in the next year or so, but in the meantime, I'd love to know if there's a quick fix for this. Thanks!

eeka

Reaction score
Ah, so basically, the water is all heading into the sprayer and just sitting there unless I open up the sprayer?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay then lets look at the diverter!
What brand and model faucet do you have?
If unknown please post a picture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
why?

Is your water piping galvanized pipe?

It is immaterial. She has good sprayer pressure so the problem has to be between that and the spout. The only thing between the sprayer and the spout, since the aerator is gone, is the diverter.

eeka

Reaction score
Cheap one that came with the house:

2693692419_b35a6d49e0_o.jpg

Let me know if there's more info you need. Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

eeka

Reaction score
Hey, thanks so much. Could I just take the diverter out and leave it out until I replace the faucet? It seems like this would be preferable to using the sprayer all the time, and I'm not real keen on spending money on a faucet I'm going to get rid of soon anyway.

eeka

Reaction score
Trying to get the spout cap off. Am I trying to screw or pry? Neither seems to be getting anywhere. Also, the brand of the faucet is Glacier Bay; noticed the faint logo when mutilating the thing just now. Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh boy! It should still be in that area. Nix the part number though! The cap should unscrew. Chances are you will not be able to get the replacement part. This is a disposable faucet.

Consider a Moen or, Delta when replacing it.
The quality difference is substantial!

eeka

Reaction score
Oh, I figured it was pretty much disposable. This house seems to have been badly renovated in the '80s or '90s. Just looking for some way to make it less sucky until I rip the kitchen out. I've been happy with Deltas.

I'll try taking out the diverter and letting you know what happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks