How times change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We get a lot of questions on the forum about the newly popular shower set ups with rain heads, multiple body sprays, etc . etc. My thought is this: given the water issue looming in many areas ( global warming, you know) how long will it be until having such shower will be a NEGATIVE to potential buyers at sale time?? ( "OOH....a water waster shower....we can't buy that!")

My younger daughter and hubby are looking into possibly selling their house, even though the market timing could be better. They want to leave LA. Anyway, the market price of their house today is still in the the neighborhood of $1 million. It was built late 80's. The kitchen cabinets are beautiful solid oak with a golden oak finish.....and the real estate broker is telling them "oak is so 80's" you need to redo the cabinets to get your price! My how times change!!!

Mort

Reaction score
Just wait a few years and it'll probably be back in style....kinda my theory on my wardrobe too. I can almost hear future realtors recommending people replace those granite countertops and stainless appliances with something more up to date.

Mort

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Jimbo,
I think you are absolutely right about the multiple shower head issue. Hard for me to understand this trend in light of obvious water shortages, or impending shortages, in many if not most parts of the country. We seem to still be laboring under the false belief that we have an endless supply of clean water.

Seems hypocritical to put in a 1.6 gal toilet only to put in multiple shower heads running simultaneously.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Just wait a few years and it'll probably be back in style....kinda my theory on my wardrobe too. I can almost hear future realtors recommending people replace those granite countertops ... with something more up to date.
Can't come soon enough for me. I want a countertop that's attractive, hygenic, and that a wine glass will bounce off of...

CTWeekendWarrior

Reaction score
IMHO oak will never go out of style. Wood can be stained, painted, left natural, and survive many style changes over the decades. When I moved into my house, the kitchen cabinets were pine with a light honey type finish. My wife hated them and wanted to tear them all out for some cheap veneer/particle board ones. Well I sanded them down and added a fresh coat of white paint, and added some inexpensive molding around the doors to give it some depth, and bought new hardware. All in all it was less than $100 and a few days of light work. The best part is in 10 years when she decides she hates the cabinets again, we can do it all over again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks