Where should the water hit the basin?

Users who are viewing this thread

yeva0111

Reaction score
We are remodeling our condo and I noticed that the plumber placed the kitchen faucet in the "industry standard" position. However, to me the faucet seems to be positioned too close to the edge of the sink. As a result, the faucet extends so far over the sink that it seems to take up a lot of sink space. And, when you turn the water on, the stream hits the front of the basin. Shouldn't it hit the back of the basin/drain instead? It seems as if the faucet would really get in the way if I tried to use the sink for washing dishes and food prep, and I wonder if splashing would be an issue because of the fact that the stream of water is closer to my body. Am I just being too particular? Someone please tell me this is not a big deal, because I really don't want to have to redo the granite countertop and put the faucet hole in a different spot!

yeva0111

Reaction score
We picked the faucet (Kohler forte single control) and the contractor recommended a pretty standard-sized (don't know the dimensions) single bowl basin, I guess to have less sink, more counter space.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The plumber did his job and installed what you purchased. If you don't like what you purchased buy a different faucet and have it installed. Many people make mistakes in remodeling, they fail to see the big picture. If that is all thats wrong be glad you did pretty well...

I usually get a job to install the faucet, & disposer after the cabinet and counertop guys leave... They say, "It should only cost a couple of hundred bucks"...
They made $3K or better and I have a sink drain in the wall thats too high... It sure would have been a lot easier and cheaper if I changed that before the cabinets went in! Lotsa luck finding someone to do all that for $200!:mad:

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Unless the plumber liked to gamble, he should have had NOTHING to do with where the granite installers made the faucet holes. And once they were made, that determined where the faucet HAD to be placed, regardless of where the stream hit the sink. There are no standards as to where the water hits the sink anyway.

CindyJ

Reaction score
There are no standards as to where the water hits the sink anyway.

Okay, so there are no "standards," but is there a desired or advantageous place for the stream to hit the sink? I'm thinking more about bathroom sinks now than kitchen sinks. I've just ordered two new vanities and vanity tops, and I'm in the process of choosing faucets for them. Should I find out how far out the drain is and then look for a faucet that will have a stream that is more or less centered over the drain? Or does it really not matter? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All new bath faucets are flow restricted by federal regulations. Prior to that, and if you had high water pressure, the shape of the bowl and where the water stream hit might mean you ended up with a stream of water over the rim opposite the faucet! For practical purposes, it probably doesn't matter much today. You DO want the spout to stick out far enough so you can get your hands underneath the stream without constantly banging up against the sink edge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sink drains can be towards the rear of the sink or centered, but faucet manufacturers do NOT consider that when they make the faucets. The plumber can ONLY install the faucet where the openings are, (he can NEVER "move" the faucet forward or backward). The design of the faucet will determine where the water hits the sink. My prevous faucet had a long spout and the water hit the front of the sink's small center basin. My current one is a "high loop" pullout model and the water comes straight down out of the spout. YOU pick the faucet you like that does what you want it to.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The plumber did his job [by installing] what you purchased...
Maybe, or maybe not. I believe a contractor, plumber or anyone else involved has a moral obligation to be attentive and conscientious and to say at least something before proceeding in a situation where a customer might have yet to see or to realize what an actual outcome might be. If the OP actually does have a faucet and sink that are not a good match, questions should have been asked long before she brought hers here.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks