In Trouble Again

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling my daughter's condo and have to move some electric. It has a fire rated ceiling (two levels or tiers) and the wiring was run through the ceiling room to room.

Is it permissable (to keep from tearing into the ceiling) to re-route some wiring through the wall(s) framing? Can the replaced/dead circuits that will pass through the ceiling be cut off and left before dry walling?

This is in MD.

Your help is appreciated.

Gary

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a book on electrical wiring and you will see that a lot of wiring is run in walls. Especially one outlet, to the next outlet, to the next, etc.

This is to save cost on wire. Shortest distance is a straight line.

But when running wires through walls, there are a lot of studs to drill holes through. So If I am running a wire from one room through the next room and on to another room further away, I'll run it in the ceiling or attic. Then I don't need to drill a bunch of holes.

Also drilling too many holes or very large holes in studs will weaken them. Might want to get a construction code check book when covers all codes including plumbing. Then this will tell you how large of a hole you can have in each stud depending on if it is a bearing wall or not. (Look in plumbing section.)

As to leaving dead wires in walls/ceilings, as a general rule I don't do this if I can remove the old wire. Then there is not a bunch of old wires running all over the place making it difficult to trace circuits. (Hummm... Where does this wire go to?) I don't know if there are any code rules on this?

KULTULZ

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply.

The main problem is the wiring running through the top plates have had a mastic applied to them to prevent smoke infiltration in case of a fire. The drywall is 5/8" fire rated and is very heavy so making exploratory holes would be a pain to patch. I was thinking of just cutting the wires at the top plate and rerun through the wall studs (non-load bearing).

The lower ceiling is so close to the first that recessed lighting cannot be used.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I was thinking of just cutting the wires at the top plate and rerun through the wall studs (non-load bearing).
That will work. Be sure to cut both ends of the cables at the top plate, and be sure they're not live -- although they won't be live for long :eek:. When going through a stud, the edge of the hole must be at least 1 1/4" from either edge of the stud. This means that for a 3 1/2" stud, you must drill the hole in the center of the stud, and the hole can be a maximum of 1" in diameter, as far as the NEC is concerned. Other construction codes may limit the size of the hole further. You can also just cut a groove in the stud and place the cable(s) in the groove, but they must be protected by a 1/16" steel plate.

See 300.4 in the Code for the gory details.

KULTULZ

Reaction score
That will work. Be sure to cut both ends of the cables at the top plate, and be sure they're not live -- although they won't be live for long :eek:. When going through a stud, the edge of the hole must be at least 1 1/4" from either edge of the stud. This means that for a 3 1/2" stud, you must drill the hole in the center of the stud, and the hole can be a maximum of 1" in diameter, as far as the NEC is concerned. Other construction codes may limit the size of the hole further. You can also just cut a groove in the stud and place the cable(s) in the groove, but they must be protected by a 1/16" steel plate.

See 300.4 in the Code for the gory details.

Thank You!

I was hoping someone would say that... ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks