Main Water Supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

cybervex

Reaction score
On my house rebuild project I am thinking of changing the main water line from the house to the outside turn-off in the front yard. It currently has 3/4" and I would like 1"

How does this normally work? Do I dig it up to the turn-ff and replace it myself or do I run it to the turn-ff and the city hooks it up? The water is turned off right now and the city is going to have to dig it up to replace the pipe down to the turn-off as it is bent.

If it helps this project is in Southfield, MI. The turn-off is in the front yard approx. 25' from the front of the house.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
Well, why do you want to replace it? just to go up to 1" or is the line bad? you really won't get much by going to 1". most cases you dig it up and connect it yourself but you may need a permit.

cybervex

Reaction score
Won't going up to 1" supply more GPM. I own another house on the same block and tested the pressure/flow rate with a tester and it showed 45PSI/6GPM, this house has 3/4".

Would the 1" supply not give me the added flow? It would be easier to replace it now before I install the water meter and the copper to my manifold.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The flow will be regulated / affected more by the meter size and the homes plumbing than the line between the house and street, as far as changing from 3/4 to 1, unless it is a long run...how far is it from the street to the house?

Last edited:

cybervex

Reaction score
The flow will be regulated / affected more by the meter size and the homes plumbing than the line between the house and street, as far as changing from 3/4 to 1, unless it is a long run...how far is it from the street to the house?

Approx 50' from turn-off to main accross the street. I am not sure what size it is from the main to turn-off a neighbor was telling me it is 1 1/4"

I am assuming that there is a 1" meter as if my permit was for a new build house I would HAVE to put in 1" according to the water department told me last year.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a 1" meter, then a 1" line would be proper. The size of the meter dictates the size of pipe you need. Going to a larger size would only help if you had a very long run by reducing friction, but in your case the difference would be too small to note and would be totally unnecessary.

cybervex

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I do NOT have a meter yet. I have the old 3/4 line from the old house. This was a fire damaged house that we ripped down and rebuilt. The only thing left from the old house is one peice of the foundation and the water and sewer. When we bought the house the water meter had been destroyed from freezing over the winter.

I can either use the 3/4" or up it to 1". I was hoping that the 1" would deliver more water.
If I get 6GPM from the city on a 3/4 line wouldn't I get more from a 1"?

So before I call the city to order a water meter I figured I would ask you folks if its worth the $300 in copper to change to 1". Will I notice the difference in volume?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the line to the supply is larger, then yes, your 1" line and meter will supply more volume. 6gpm is pretty anemic, actually, for a 3/4" line - the pressure would have to be really low to restrict it to that volume. Note, an average 1/2" bathtub filler valve will flow around that by itself, and if you turned anything else on in the house if all you had was 6gpm, you'd really notice it.

cybervex

Reaction score
If the line to the supply is larger, then yes, your 1" line and meter will supply more volume. 6gpm is pretty anemic, actually, for a 3/4" line - the pressure would have to be really low to restrict it to that volume. Note, an average 1/2" bathtub filler valve will flow around that by itself, and if you turned anything else on in the house if all you had was 6gpm, you'd really notice it.

The 6GPM is terrible. We at the end of the line in the city. Last year when I hooked up the pressure tester we only had 35 PSI, the city has been slowly turning up the pressure over the last year, now we have 45PSI but the flow is not good. I think the city needs to upgrade our lines. I won't hold my breath!!

Thanks for all the comments

Arfeller

Reaction score
I have similar question

I currently have 1/2" pvc supply line to my house. The meter and main supply line is approximately 50 feet from my house.

At some point under ground the pvc switches over to galvanized pipe and it comes into the house as galvanized. I actually thought it was all galvanized until i was digging a trench for my gutter drain and found pvc water line.

Anyway... I am going to replace all the galvanized inside the house (the pipes are starting to leak from corrosion) with PEX and thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my supply line size also. 1/2" sure looks small to me. They used that 1/2" white plastic with flared ends so they fit inside each other without fittings.

I am not sure what size my meter is. Have to uncover it a bit. sediment has covered the pipes under the meter. But what is "normal" for supply lines? Is there a rule of thumb?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
arfeller I would upsize my house main to 1". 1/2" is very small.

I would also start a new thread so you don't hijack this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks