DIY Cast Iron to PVC project

Users who are viewing this thread

EMFinite

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to tackle this project but have a few questions about how to move forward.

What I want to do is remove the main cast iron sewer drain in my basement and install a pvc pipe in between it and a cast iron stack going to the roof. Is this ok to do? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check with your local building inspector to make sure it is allowed. Mass. code for instance will not allow PVC under cast iron in a stack.

EMFinite

Reaction score
Really?

Well I guess that kills that idea...lol

I'll post some pics in 30mins, maybe you can suggest another route to take. What I'm trying to do is add another bathroom, and I need another drain for the toilet..

Last edited:

EMFinite

Reaction score
Picture010.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

EMFinite

Reaction score
Are my only two options:

1. melt the lead in the hub and go the donut route?
2. cut the hub and use a non hub coupler?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You would need to use cast iron no-hub!

Ready for another kink in the plan?

Under Mass. law only licensed plumbers may do work of tis magnatude...
Homeowners cannot do DIYer work even on their own homes.

EMFinite

Reaction score
Under Mass. law only licensed plumbers may do work of tis magnatude...
Homeowners cannot do DIYer work even on their own homes.

I'm not too concerned about Mass Law when it comes to doing repairs on my own home.. If they want to pay my mortgage then they can have all the say they want..

You said cast iron non hub? Why can't I use PVC?

It will be a horizontal run, with no cast iron above..

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lets just say 10 years from now you go to sell the house... Then you will be paying for a plumber to install no-hub cast iron after the eagle eyed home inspector sees PVC under cast iron. You know and I know it will work but its against code in Mass.

Last edited:

EMFinite

Reaction score
But it really isn't pvc under cast iron..

You see where the cast iron elbow is for the toilet drain? Why can I melt the lead in that hub and install a donut, a small section of pvc and then a pvc wye for the two toilet drains?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

What are you going to do with the pipe after you install the Y? Or are you one of those DIY'ers who think anyone can do plumbing and all you need to do for a second toilet is install a tee and then put the toilet on it.

EMFinite

Reaction score
Or are you one of those DIY'ers who think anyone can do plumbing and all you need to do for a second toilet is install a tee and then put the toilet on it.

lol. comical... why are some pros so elitist about their profession?

look, i didn't come here to be judged. just seeking a little advice on doing some repairs on my own home.

btw, i had a plumber stop by today and he suggested the exact same thing that i asked about here; removing the elbow from the bell and using a donut for the pvc to cast iron transition. he quoted me $600 to do this very small job. $2000 to run a 10ft piece of pvc for the toilet, sink and tub drains for a second bathroom, which would be located 10ft away from the main drain. all with open walls and floor AND a parallel run in between the floor joists. a clean and clear open path to the drain. with prices like this--its no wonder why homeowners want to do their some of their own improvements and repairs.

and to answer your question about the toilet(s), no i'm not one of "those" DIYers who think i can do plumbing. i'm one of those DIYers who thoroughly researches before attempting to tackle an improvement project or repair on my home. if i feel like i cant handle a particular project, then i'd hire a professional..

thanks for the replies...

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
By my reading of this thread it is unlawful to use PVC in any drainage in Massachusetts and it is also unlawful for a homeowner to do any drainage work on his (her) own house.

I think that is stupid and simply encourages homeowners to flaunt the law.

HOWEVER, I do recall the use of PVC drainage piping on many episodes of This Old House and most of the houses they work on are in Massachusetts.

IF it is unlawful to use PVC for drainage then the plumber you asked was obviously NOT going to have the job permitted and inspected.

My greater concern is that you will not be properly venting the new bathroom group if all you are running is drain piping.

EMFinite

Reaction score
it is lawful to use PVC for sewer drainage. it is not permissible to attach cast iron on TOP of PVC... and of course the plumber i consulted with, said he'd pull the necessary permits.

nothing said here could encourage a homeowner to flaunt the law. i would hope people who come here make an effort to research prevailing codes, the risks associated with DIY projects AND are aware that the advice given is at their own risk and not a professional consultation.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Then I obviously misread the thread.

What I meant by encouraging a homeowner to flaunt the law was the prohibition of a homeowner being able to do ANY work on his drainage/sewage plumbing even with the proper permits and inspections.

When the Authority prohibits any homeowner from making repairs or upgrades to his own home under any circumstances then there will be many homeowners who WILL defy the law and do "bootleg" changes. Since these repairs/changes/additions will not be inspected there exists a greater chance of "something" being done incorrectly and THAT is what may be hazardous to not only the present homeowner but also the neighbors and subsequent homeowners.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Its kind of a strange situation that results when there is unpermitted work. When the property is sold it gets redone properly at great expense with the seller never getting to use the proper functioning plumbing system that he paid for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks