The Inspector Rejected Our Shower Valve!

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: In our new addition, the building inspector said we need to have "some sort of new fangled" shower valve, so we'll have to rip out the one we put in and replace it. Ok, he didn't say "new fangled", but what he meant was we'll need one that has an anti-scalding device. I've started looking for a new valve, but the trouble with this is that my wife wants a shower with two cross handles, not a single control valve. All I see is single handles. Are there any valves out there with separate hot and cold handles that are to code? Thanks--Marty

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your choices are a pressure-balanced valve or a thermostatically controlled valve. A pressure-balanced valve is almost always a single handle, a thermostatically controlled valve needs two controls, sometimes they are knobs, sometimes levers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This one is from Grohe http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/19167/. Note, many of the valves can be bought with a rough-in valve, then you choose the trim. The rough-in and trim need to come from the same company, and there are often numerous trims that will fit a particular valve.

Attachments

• Atrio grohe trim.jpg
    Atrio grohe trim.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,092

gvmeacalll

Reaction score
Hmm, you could install the faucet thats to code, then put in the one you want after the inspection. This new code doesn't take into consideration that there are not enough faucets to chose from. I'm not sure why this would be written into the code except that someone is trying to look like he is earning his paycheck when he really should get the boot!

Marty 1

Reaction score
Boy, I'll drink to that!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think my wife's looking for something on the old fashion side, so maybe the install what's code and then take it out afterwards is the way to go--sure wish we wouldn't have to do that, though. Marty

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hmm, you could install the faucet thats to code,(1) then put in the one you want after the inspection. This new code doesn't take into consideration that (2)there are not enough faucets to chose from. I'm not sure why this would be written into the code except that someone is trying to look like he is earning his paycheck when he really should get the boot!

(1) It's your house, but this is not really good advice. This will bite you in the rear if you ever want to sell the house. Also, around here, a job like this will have a rough inspection and a final. You cant put in a single handle on rough, then try to explain on final ( after the tile is up!) why the faucet changed!
(2) You really haven't been paying attention to catalogs, showrooms, internet shopping, etc. There are gazillions of design choices out there, including plenty in the pressure balanced or thermostatic two handle variety.

gvmeacalll

Reaction score
Hey Jimbo - that's great news and exactly what his original question was! A link to a website that features new faucets that meet the new codes would be very helpfull. I have been to all the big box stores and plumbing supply stores in my area and it seems that most of what is available is in a single handle variety.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you asked at the design desk at HD to look at their Your Other Warehouse catalog? Hundreds of pages of stuff. There is also a website. figureitout dot com.

gvmeacalll

Reaction score
Have you asked at the design desk at HD to look at their Your Other Warehouse catalog? Hundreds of pages of stuff. There is also a website. figureitout dot com.

I went to figure it out dot com and guess what? No faucets! The reality is that there just aren't any nice, traditional looking faucets available. At least not for under $500.00. This puts us all in a bind if we want a multi-handled faucet. I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels. And most of us who don't like single handled faucets realy don't have any choices at a reasonable price.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I went to figure it out dot com and guess what? No faucets! The reality is that there just aren't any nice, traditional looking faucets available. At least not for under $500.00. This puts us all in a bind if we want a multi-handled faucet. I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels. And most of us who don't like single handled faucets realy don't have any choices at a reasonable price.

I was trying to be cute about the website name, because the forum filter sometimes causes trouble. Your Other Warehouse ( also known as YOW) does have a website with plenty of faucets. They have that catalog in the stores as well, ( HD) and Lowes may also have it or something similar. Any plumbing supply house or interior design studio also has catalogs.

Now, you throw in the price issue, and you are barking up the wrong tree. When you want fancy looking stuff, it will come with a fancy price tag.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels.

One handle controlling how much water, with the other handle controlling hot-or-cold, is actually really nice. You don't know what you're missing:

You can turn the water off, to hear what someone's yelling at you ("honey, where are the keys?"), and when you turn it back on afterwards, the temperature is still the same as you had it. No fiddling around trying to find it again.

If you live alone, even better - the temperature's always already set to your liking.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that Ghroe looks too expensive....get a new wife...

What your wife wants and what she can have
sometimes are very far apart and all you are going to do
is beat your brains out trying to please her...

and of course if she gets her way here,
the demands to get you to jump through hoops
will only get worse and worse as time goes on....

you are going down a very slippery slope......

if you absolutely must , just blame the inspector...
tell her the inspector is an a-hol/ and wont
allow what she want....cause they dont make it.....

then give her a couple of Deltas with lever handles to choose from...

go to deltafaucet.com

http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/port...ssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN7SMN_YO1i_IdlQEADWh13E!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Its simple, hav her find a fawcet thet the inspcter likes.
I would be staying way claer on this

Codes are meant to pertect old folks and kids.
No sense to burning em.

I once was tryying to give a bath to my rabit once.
My wife was using the kitchen, and the rabbiet was swirming all over.
Finally I yell out,
Woman! This rabbit isn't liking you using the kitchen sink!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Modern Technology is a wonderful thing! Pressure balanced faucets allow you to shower with a temperature setting that remains within +- 3 Degrees F even when someone else in the house runs water! Isn't that a desirable thing? It is when I shower! The code is designed to prevent stupid accidents from happening like scalding...

Well Punk are you feeling like a lobster today? ~Dirty Harry

gvmeacalll

Reaction score
Modern Technology is a wonderful thing! Pressure balanced faucets allow you to shower with a temperature setting that remains within +- 3 Degrees F even when someone else in the house runs water! Isn't that a desirable thing? It is when I shower! The code is designed to prevent stupid accidents from happening like scalding...

It actually sounds like a good technology! However the selection of faucets and the price mean that no one would ever consider buying one unless they were forced to. How did we make it all these centuries without scalding ourselves to death? Thank god that we have codes to protect us from hot water!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I browsed thru www.yourotherwarehouse.com, DoDads bath catalog, and expected to find a lot of press. bal. two handle jobs, and did not. I don't know if styles or tastes have changed? One option though is to use any two handle style, with the handles you like, and the stand alone pressure balance module from Grohe...see page 332 of the catalog.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new pressure balance valves add about $5 to the cost.
Unless you are living Third World, I don't see the issue.
In third world countries, you may not have an option of using hot or warm water to wash with.
Many people that live there are happy to get cold water.
They are much nicer to use, and have been included in the plumbing code for years.
That's why, the supply of illegal valves has pretty much dried up.
The Plumbing Supplies that provided to plumbers quit selling the non-balanced valves years ago.
It's just the big box stores that figured they were bigger then the plumbing codes.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Install a remote tempering valve and you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Attachments

• PPP valve.jpg
    PPP valve.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 424
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks