Basement plumbing layout

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Basement plumbing layout REVISED PLEASE HELP June 6th

Could anyone share any light on this please - its starting to look a bit star trek exhaust.. im sure someone will point out its terrible or maybe not so bad but im also sure it could be simplified.

I just need to know how to layout the pipes to plumb in the toilet, tub and vanity sink and tie them into the main blue underground pipe.

thanks for any help - this seems like an awesome forum

novicepiper:confused:

SORRY in the picture it says GREEN DOTT - '2nd floor' that would be 3rd floor loft/attic addition.

Attachments

• base_33.jpg
    base_33.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 21,148
  • base_34.jpg
    base_34.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 9,908
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You're right! It is starting to look like a windows screen saver.

What line coming down is a vent? I.E. continues through the roof without waste dumping into it from an upper floor.

We can probably get rid of a bunch of the crisscrossing pipes after that is known.

Nice drawing by the way! What did you use to make it?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I moved your first thread from the remodel forum up here, so folks could get a good look at the first diagram. It minimizes confusion if you keep all your info in one thread. I am still not clear about the orange pipe. I think we have mentioned that you cannot vent the basement group into a pipe which is bringing waste down from the upper floor.

We are green with envy over your drawings, however!!!

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
You're right! It is starting to look like a windows screen saver.

What line coming down is a vent? I.E. continues through the roof without waste dumping into it from an upper floor.

We can probably get rid of a bunch of the crisscrossing pipes after that is known.

Nice drawing by the way! What did you use to make it?

answers / questions :)

1) the yellow pipe is all new - 'proposed' etc, I was thinking the pipe could drain waste at the bottom and vent at the top for the basement set - could i join this into the 4" stack in the attic?

2) THE ORANGE PIPE: This is the waste pipe from the kitchen sink, does not serve waste from anywhere else - is vented 6 inches or so above kitchen sink and then goes into the 2nd floor bathroom, dont know if this acts as a vent for anything else/ is not joined in attic or vents through roof! so it seems logical that it would be joined into the 4" stack in the bathroom behind the wall - does that sound right as i cant seem to smell any poopie odours!?

3) Also could I elimate the 3" pipe serving the proposed 3rd floor addition if i vent the second floor toilet separately?

Thanks again Redwood/Jimbo for your help on this matter :D

drawing done with GF makeup set / 3d max - thanks for the compliments re drawings im just trying to make it as clear as i can...

thanks

Attachments

• base_36_txt.jpg
    base_36_txt.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4,268
Last edited:

TorontoTim

Reaction score
I'm no venting expert (or any sort of expert for that matter!). Reason I asked about the tub trap is it is typically in the floor. The vanity P trap would be in the vanity and installed with the fixture.

I'm also knee deep in a bathroom reno with a pedestal sink, so I have chrome exposed P traps on the brain too.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Only comment I have on the venting is I'm not sure you need the branch going up off the vanity sink and back around, tieing into the same vent line that you have another vent off the vanity drain already.

Did that make sense? Might be uneccessary.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Only comment I have on the venting is I'm not sure you need the branch going up off the vanity sink and back around, tieing into the same vent line that you have another vent off the vanity drain already.

Did that make sense? Might be uneccessary.

Yes I was also thinking the same thing but I just thought I'd put it in till someone said otherwise - Thanks Taysan - good luck iwth your project - did you get the chrome sleeves for the copper pipes:)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take the tub off the upper floor kitchen sink line, and connect it to the basement toilet line. Run the lav sink into the basement toilet line as well. Eliminate the vent to the toilet and wet vent the toilet with either the lav or tub.

Join in the 3rd floor line and the kitchen sink line into the stack below where the upper floor toilet ties in.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
I got nice compression shut off valves that are about 4 inches long and have an integrated chrome sleeve that goes over the copper. About $15 each I think. They're one piece from the factory so no cutting chrome sleeves or anything. Just pop them on like any compression fitting.

Not 100% sure I'll have room for them behind the clawfoot tub, as the supply lines are on the wall and the wall of the tub might be a bit close, but I think they'll fit. Using them on my pedestal sink and toilet as well.

Attachments

• dahl.jpg
    dahl.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,495

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I got nice compression shut off valves that are about 4 inches long and have an integrated chrome sleeve that goes over the copper. About $15 each I think. They're one piece from the factory so no cutting chrome sleeves or anything. Just pop them on like any compression fitting.

Not 100% sure I'll have room for them behind the clawfoot tub, as the supply lines are on the wall and the wall of the tub might be a bit close, but I think they'll fit. Using them on my pedestal sink and toilet as well.

Hi Taysan Thanks for the info :) they look really nice!

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take the tub off the upper floor kitchen sink line, and connect it to the basement toilet line. Run the lav sink into the basement toilet line as well. Eliminate the vent to the toilet and wet vent the toilet with either the lav or tub.

Join in the 3rd floor line and the kitchen sink line into the stack below where the upper floor toilet ties in.

Ok - so I tried to follow your advice/instructions re revisions etc - could you please have a look at this when you have time - greatly appeciated.

On the vertical stack i put the kitchen sink tie in above the 3rd floor tie, is that right? does tiis need to be a wye - T might let in dribbles of waste from 2nd floor toilet?

Thanks again Redwood - i dont know where jimbo went too!? :)

Attachments

• basement_r1.jpg
    basement_r1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,055
  • basement_r1_3.jpg
    basement_r1_3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9,308
  • basement_r1_2.jpg
    basement_r1_2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,842
Last edited:

Salesdog

Reaction score

I agree completely with this, except i would wet vent both the toilet and tub through the lav by using a 3x2 double y, you can bush down the tub side and run 1 1/2 inch pipe.

that works fine but, now your toilet is not vented properly.

connect the lav/tub line to the toilet arm and you got it.

you can eliminate the relief vent before the lav if you want. its not required.

If you want to tie in the tub, seperately to the blue pipe, then you vent it seperately. which is more work then its worth, just tie the lav and tub to the toilet arm and your done.

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree completely with this, except i would wet vent both the toilet and tub through the lav by using a 3x2 double y, you can bush down the tub side and run 1 1/2 inch pipe.

that works fine but, now your toilet is not vented properly.

connect the lav/tub line to the toilet arm and you got it.

you can eliminate the relief vent before the lav if you want. its not required.

If you want to tie in the tub, seperately to the blue pipe, then you vent it seperately. which is more work then its worth, just tie the lav and tub to the toilet arm and your done.

Could someone please explain to me what a lav is - just to satisfy my ignorance could we stick to basement sink, basement toilet and basement tub. im getting really confused with the 'lav' side of things - i googled 'lav' and it said "fixed sink with water feeds and drain" (to me, that definition means basement sink) - if i have it correct, i'm already using the lav/basement sink as a wet vent!? - sorry for being a pain, but i just need a litle pic or draw on mine - that would be awesome (I know you plumbers are super busy) thanks for all the imput - if anyone is feeling generous and would like to explain my image to me that would be amazing.

thanks again in advance for any further imput and I will try and figure out what salesdog's addtion is/means!

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Out of date images

Any 'image referenced previous to posting 13 is now out of date). I think at the moment the general consensus is posting no 13 (images ) are the way to go with a few mods re salesdog and the input of redwood.

thanks this is getting exciting now! i wonder if terry love will join in the debate:)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A bathroom sink is a lavatory, the toilet is a closet, and a tub is a tub. That's just the way we talk!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I am by no means any kind of artist as you are, but here is a simple layout that may help. Check your local codes for sizing of your vents. In my area we can vent an entire bathroom with 1 1/2" pipe

The Drawing below shows the wash basin drain and the tub drain wet venting the toilet

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,954

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am by no means any kind of artist as you are, but here is a simple layout that may help. Check your local codes for sizing of your vents. In my area we can vent an entire bathroom with 1 1/2" pipe

The Drawing below shows the wash basin drain and the tub drain wet venting the toilet

Thanks for the input Krow - if everyone agrees on your sketch thats what I'll do.... I just presented my images the way i did cos i thought it would be really easy for you plumbers to understand (solid visual) rather than me try and mess about with a sketch on a knapkin or something - ill do a quick 3d layout of your proposal and post it back up later tonight.

Thanks again Krow - your explanation re sketch is cool with me - I just needed someone to explain it with a visual cos i dont know all the tech stuff hence (what the hell is a lav) explained by jimbo:).

Novice piper

Ps - I think thats what Redwood was saying!?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks