Is there a 3/8 compression to 3/8 Compression water shut off valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnalep

Reaction score
I want to put shut off valves under kitchen sink. I would like to just unscrew the 3/8 compression flexible hoses that go from the faucet to the old pipes, and insert a shut off valve there. I've been to Ace, Aco, and Home Depot, and none of them had this shutoff valve in this size. The closest was home depot that had a 3/8 male compression on one end, but the other end had a 3/8 female FIPS - so this end would not screw onto the existing old pipes that I am unscrewing my flexible water lines from. The old pipes are about 80 years old, and I hate to try to unscrew the adapters that are well rusted into the 1/2 steel pipe elbows of the hot/cold supply lines.

I've searched the internet also, and I'm thinking that maybe what I'm looking for is not made? Can I find adpaters that would work?

Pauleyman

Reaction score
Compression fittings on flexible hose? Well anyway it does exist. Grainger had it 5ky61. 3/8" comp on each end. I would imagine others would have it.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've got a 3/8 compression to 3/8 compression on my dishwasher supply line, made by BrassCraft. Probably bought at HD. However, the text in your post does not describe a 3/8 compression to 3/8 compression valve. You need to insert a short length of 3/8" copper between your existing 3/8" compression valve, then add the new valve at the other end of that short pipe.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I believe Brasscraft makes a 3/8 female compression x 3/8 male compression for just this application. But, finding someone who would have one in stock will be very difficult, since it is something that would be a very slow mover.

Mnalep

Reaction score
Hey Pauley,

I looked at the Grainger.com site - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

This page shows 3 shutoffs. The first one 5Ky61 won't work, as it is, male, 3/8 compression, at both ends. The 3rd one pictured "1RWF8" is close, as the inlet is a female inlet, but it is 3/8 FIP (iron pipe thread), and wont screw onto my existing old pipes, that I am going to take the flexible water feed lines off of.

What I want is liket this 1RWF8, but with the female inlet being 3/8 comprression.

Ah, a little more searching at Grainger yielded this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowse.shtml

I think that this 1RLX4 is just what I need. The female end looks like it has a tube inside it, sort of like Mikey's idea. What bothers me though is that when I click on the tab labeled "Note and Restrictions" on this page, it says that:

"California Proposition 65:
Warning: This product contains a product known to the State of California to cause cancer.
"

I don't think that is a good thing to put in a kitchen!

Hi Mikey,

I saw what you have at HD, but it was a 3 way, like for a dishwasher, and I have no dishwasher, so don't want that 2nd outlet on the shutoff. I thought of what you suggested - using a short piece of copper tubing to attach the old pipe to the flexible feed line, but that seems like a 2nd best choice - to just one shut off valve.

I can't believe that no one makes the valve I'm looking for. Even the guy at ACO said he didn't know of one, but he could sell lots of them if they existed because people ask for them a lot.

Even while I was at HD, another guy was there asking for the same thing, and walked away empty handed. I can't even find an adapter with a 3/8 male compression on one end and a 3/8 female compression on the other.

Pauleyman, Here's a pic of basically what I've got to take of the old pipes:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...y+line&parentPage=search&searchId=33398919304

Isn't that called a compression fitting, at the end of the flexible hose?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That valve is made of brass. While brass does have a small amount of lead in it the "California Caution" is way over rated! I would use the valve without a moments consideration!

Every material known to man is required to have a California Caution sticker on it. If something did not require a sticker I would assume that it was a completely new substance and they have no idea of the horrible side effects it has. That would concern me!:eek:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd get the 1RLX4 -- looks like what you need, and, as Redwood points out, the various California warnings cover just about everything -- there's even one on California wine, the last time I checked.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
For some reason, that law reminds me of the "Caution:Hot" ruling for McDonalds....

Mnalep

Reaction score
I've got a 3/8 compression to 3/8 compression on my dishwasher supply line, made by BrassCraft. Probably bought at HD. However, the text in your post does not describe a 3/8 compression to 3/8 compression valve. You need to insert a short length of 3/8" copper between your existing 3/8" compression valve, then add the new valve at the other end of that short pipe.

Hey Mikey, I ended up using a short copper tube and a shutoff with 3/8 compression at both ends. I had to get this done now, rather than wait for days to get the one from Grainger.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions.

I still can't beleive all the major stores like ACE, ACO, Home Depot, and a couple of sole proprietor hardware stores don't carry the 1RLX4. (Maybe it's because of the California warning?).

rwcarpenter

Reaction score
Yea, seems to me that they should only put the notice on things that are not dangerous in California.

"Whoa Dude: This product contains a product known to the State of California not to cause cancer." :D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many products are not available in Calif. because for various cost vs. supply demand issues, the manufacturer has chosen not to make it. You cannot make the personal choice to 'just go ahead and use it' because it is illegal to sell, and anyone engaged in interstate commerce is prohibited from selling it into Calif. Since the internet, the bay, etc are the wild wild west of commerce, there may be loopholes. A major distributor like grainger or ace, that product will be blocked.

BTW, the lead law is Calif. AND Vermont, and coming soon to other states near you!!!!!!!

Since you don't have a stop valve presently under the sink, is it possible there IS a valve down below like in the basement?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks