Bullnose supply tube to Price Pfister?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reg

Reaction score
I just installed a Price Pfister vessel faucet and connected standard bullnose supply tubes directly to the 1/2-14 NSPM connectors. These tubes didn't have a rubber conical washer, just metal. No leaks so far, will it remain leak-free? The recommended method in the datasheet was to use the supplied conical rubber washers and flare the tubing. Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Fitting2 (Medium).jpg
    Fitting2 (Medium).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Overall (Medium).jpg
    Overall (Medium).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 795

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That is a beautiful installation. I would have used some teflon tape and pipe dope, but if you have no leaks, what can I say?

I may have also run stainless braided flex lines all the way down to the shut-offs but that would have looked nowhere near as nice.

You don't have an s-trap under there do you?

Last edited:

Reg

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I remodeled this bathroom to accomodate my daughter in a wheelchair. In order to provide legroom, I suppose I have inadvertantly created an S-trap, thanks for pointing that out, I missed it. :confused:
I understand the problem with this is that the water flowing down the vertical can empty the trap via suction. So far, this hasn't happened. Any suggestions are appreciated - maybe I can incorporate a bottle trap somehow, or open up the wall and relocate the plumbing.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Because it does not have a washer, I would have (wrongly) assumed it might leak without Teflon. However, as I quite clearly stated in my post if it does not leak, then leave it.

but if you have no leaks, what can I say?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Let's set something straight...the only time pipe dope or teflon tape should be used is on the tapered pipe threads. It is needed to fill in around the threads. The threads hold the joint together, but the threads are (by design) not a full solid waterproof connection. A compression fitting relies on properly shaped metal to metal connections forced together by tightening a nut. It should not need anything else to create the seal. If it does, it is either not aligned properly or not tight enough (or too tight and it deformed things too much) or defective. The last common connection relies on a washer like the hose connection on the hose bib. The threads give it leverage to compress the two metal ends against a rubber gasket. Adding pipe dope or teflon tape to anything but the first can prevent the connection from sealing properly or allow the pipe dope or teflon tape to contaminate the connection.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yep, got that. Loud and clear. So what in the heck is the connection we see in the picture?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A compression type (union). It has a ball shaped end that is compressed into a cup shaped fitting as opposed to a compression ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks