newbie with basic plumbing questions

Users who are viewing this thread

tonya499

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping y'all can answer some basic questions for me. I just bid on a house today that was built in 1978. In the basement laundry room there is a 4" stub sticking out of the floor and a smaller stub sticking out of the wall about 3' directly above it. There is a piece of carpet on the floor, so I don't know what else is in there. I'm assuming the stub is for a toilet. Question #1-wouldn't we need more than 1 stub for a regular bathroom? (toilet sink shower)

Question #2-could the same plumber that roughs in the bathroom run gas lines from the heater in the basement to the stove on the floor right above it? How about across the room to the fireplace?

Question #3-are these items prohibitively expensive? $5K, $10K, $20K? We can put in a toilet, sink, and shower base ourselves if the proper pipes are in place.

Thanks, Tonya

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping y'all can answer some basic questions for me. I just bid on a house today that was built in 1978. In the basement laundry room there is a 4" stub sticking out of the floor and a smaller stub sticking out of the wall about 3' directly above it. There is a piece of carpet on the floor, so I don't know what else is in there. I'm assuming the stub is for a toilet. Question #1-wouldn't we need more than 1 stub for a regular bathroom? (toilet sink shower)
That 4" stub sticking out might be a clean out. If its a toilet rough-in , then it would be 3". (unless you made a mistake and its is in fact 3"). We would need to see a pic to varify what your are seeing. 3' seems quite high for any type of roughin , unless its a vent.

Question #2-could the same plumber that roughs in the bathroom run gas lines from the heater in the basement to the stove on the floor right above it? How about across the room to the fireplace
yes, , but Only if he is also a licensed gas fitter as well

Question #3-are these items prohibitively expensive? $5K, $10K, $20K? We can put in a toilet, sink, and shower base ourselves if the proper pipes are in place.
A toilet, sink, faucets/hardware and shower base could cost you from $1200 and up

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
everything sounds about right, but the gas.

my contractors license in california allows me to do gas work also. I do not hold a special license, it was part of the test. I am however certified in different materials used in the field, this is checked by the city I install it in.

So, you really need to check your local reg's.

roughs tend to cost 1,100 and up, depending on location and fixtures, vents etc.

Last edited:

Bombjay

Reaction score
4x3 closet bend. perhaps just a 4x4".
I use them often. The stub up on the wall 21"? A lav sink stubb most likely.
As for the gas,in this neck of the woods a plumber can also rough the gas in for you.
What part of the country are you in?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

If I had put it in it WOULD be a 4" riser for the toilet. But we cannot tell anything about that pipe or the one in the wall without doing some investigating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks