Running a pump from a generator

Users who are viewing this thread

Tmartin

Reaction score
I have a 2hp irrigation pump set up for 230v. I want to use it to fill a water truck from a creek to fill stock tanks. Would there be any problems with running it off of a gas powered generator? What should I be concerned about?

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
When you start a big electric motor there is a short but large surge. The generator must be rated to handle that surge. The continuous load rating of the motor and generator can be the same, but the generator has to take the surge. This may mean a generator rating larger than otherwise needed for continuous use. Some generators are better about this than others. Check specs.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
I have a 2hp irrigation pump set up for 230v. I want to use it to fill a water truck from a creek to fill stock tanks. Would there be any problems with running it off of a gas powered generator? What should I be concerned about?

Isn't a two HP something like 1500 watts?

We run pumps on generators all the time. Just make sure you have enough generator for the job and grounding protection in place.

Tmartin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I believe it is a 6000 watt generator. It has a 230 outlet. It runs an electric jack hammer pretty well. I was trying to save some money by using an electric pump and a generator that I already had, but I think I will just buy a gas powered irrigation pump. I don't think I have room for both the pump and the generator on my truck. I think a two inch pump and a five horse engine should work good enough for filling a water tank. Thanks for all the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks