Dishwasher and disposal same box

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Palmisano

Reaction score
The wire that is in-place to supply the dishwasher, can I jump off of it to run a connection to a future disposal? I was thinking that I could hook both to a junction box, run a switch for the Disposal and put plugs on both appliances and plug into the receptacle.

Thanks,

Steve

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
210.23(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires (lighting fixtures), shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you have to parse the sentence from the NEC to see if it works.

The first question is, what is meant by "fastened in place". It is important to note that a piece of equipment can be both cord-and-plug-connected and fastened in place.

210.23(A)(1) discusses requirements for cord-and-plug-connected equipment not fastened in place.

210.23(A)(2) discusses utilization equipment that is fastened in place, and the restrictions on load where lighting units and/or cord-and-plug-connected equipment not fastened in place is also supplied.

Every dishwasher (except the roll-around kind) and every disposer that I have ever seen was fastened in place. A dishwasher that I installed last week was fastened to the bottom of the countertop, and the disposer was certainly fastened in place at the bottom of the sink. In that case, the restriction of 210.23(A)(2) does not apply.

Therefore, the limit on whether you can connect a dishwasher and a disposer to the same circuit depends on whether the total load exceeds the branch circuit rating.

My dishwasher is rated at 11.5 Amps and the disposer at 8.1 Amps for a toal of 19.6 Amps. They are both legally connected (hard-wired) to a 20 Amp circuit (circa 1965).

One restriction on using a receptacle is that there is a code section (I am not going to search for it now.) that requires that cords for appliances be provided or approved by the appliance manufacturer. Most dishwashers and disposers don't come with cords. I would plan on using a piece of AC or MC, or LFNC.

In the new house where I installed the dishwasher last week the licensed electrician had provided a 5 ft length of 14/2 NM (Romex) coming up through the floor at the back of the dishwasher space.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
And from a layman's practical point of view, how often are you going to want to run your dishwasher and disposal unit at the same time anyhow? You'd need ear protection.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I beg to disagree with everyone... the NEC also says, I believe, that appliances have to be installed according to the manufacturer' instructions?

I've never seen dishwasher installation instuctions that didn't call for a dedicated circuit.

So, while it'd probably work (because, as pointed out, what are the odds you'd run them at the same time?)... it wouldn't be legal.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You're seeing one now...

My Kenmore DW installation instructions' Electrical Requirements are:

You must have:
o 120-volt, 60Hz, AC-only, 15 or 20 amp., fused electrical supply.
o Copper wire only.

We recommend:
o A time-delay fuse or circuit breaker.
o A separate circuit.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
And from a layman's practical point of view, how often are you going to want to run your dishwasher and disposal unit at the same time anyhow?
Actually, I've often thought it might be a good idea to run the disposer during the dishwasher's drain cycle, to thoroughly grind up any big pieces left by the dishwasher's macerator (I think it's got one). Noise is not a big deal these days, but the total current required was a deal-killer.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
can I jump off of it to run a connection to a future disposal?

More than likely, you can.

All DW/Disp here share a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If it is an older home and the DW circuit has other stuff on it you would be pushing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks