cast iron to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

lmei007

Reaction score
I am in Boston MA. It looks like we must use cast iron to replace damaged cast iron section. I have a 4" cast iron sewer pipe on basement. There is a 3ft long crack in one vertical section, starts 1ft above the ground just above the hub.

Just want to gain some knowledge about what is the professional way to replace it. With cast iron to cast iron,

1. do we must use lead to seal it in the hub join? can we use the same way as PVC to cast iron hub join? http://www.*********.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100372311&N=10000003+528076+90039

2. on another end without hub, can we use the same way as PVC to cast iron by using Fernco's flexible pipe adaptors. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=139996-33599-RNHP100&lpage=none

thanks,

Last edited:

lmei007

Reaction score

Attachments

• 53ee981e-7f60-4433-b300-764b5f86e942_300.jpg
    53ee981e-7f60-4433-b300-764b5f86e942_300.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One note of interest is that in Mass. you must be a licensed plumber to do work of this nature in your own home.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
One note of interest is that in Mass. you must be a licensed plumber to do work of this nature in your own home.

Don't laugh, but at one point long ago, even a licensed plumber couldn't work on his own home, heard this from a third party long time ago.

One thing about MA is they have always been strict with code...which might explaiin why so many residences have CI, we're always last to allow changes that other states have done.

PEX just made code not 4, 5 years ago...I was completely surprised when it did

Bombjay

Reaction score
Don't laugh, but at one point long ago, even a licensed plumber couldn't work on his own home, heard this from a third party long time ago.

A small city north of Minneapolis,Anoka is the same way.
Licenses are good but I smell fund raising when it goes this far.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I don`t know any more what the powers that be dictate as it changes
on a daily basis.So what are we to do, just follow orders untill they find
us obsolete?So let politcos get out there and fix it.
Sorry just venting.

Thanks Terry for this site to allow some of to do this.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks