Kenmore Delux Home Drinking Water System

Users who are viewing this thread

Mariner

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Don't know if this would be the right forum for my questions - if not, maybe someone could redirect me.

Here goes.

I bought an older home nealy three years ago and have, what I was told was a RO under sink unit. Well, I haven't used it and the water supply has been switched off during that time. Whilst replacing the taps on the kitchen sink (that is a horror story in itself) I decided to look at the "RO unit".

Well, when I got everything out from under the kitchen sink and managed to get a good look at the unit, I found it was marked as "Kenmore Delux Home Drinking Water System". It has two filter housings - one each end which are connected to a horizontally mounted round plastic tube, with small tubes going in/coming out of it. I don't have a manual for the system so I am having to wing it as they say. One filter was a sediment filter (I guess primary one) and the second filter was a carbon filter. Both were covered with all sorts of slime/sludge and the housings have been scrubbed clean inside.

I will try to attach a photo of the unit. I need to know if it is a RO unit or just a delux drinking water system. Also, if anyone recognizes it, what model number is it?

I would appreciate any and all info on this unit as I am completely in the dark here. I would like to be able to get a manual/instructions and parts numbers if at all possible. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mariner

Attachments

• Undersink filter unit.JPG
    Undersink filter unit.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 394

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The long horizontal filter looks like an RO membrane. If so, there needs to be a tank.....usuall about 3 gallon size...associated with all this.

Mariner

Reaction score
The long horizontal filter looks like an RO membrane. If so, there needs to be a tank.....usuall about 3 gallon size...associated with all this.

Hi Jimbo,

Yes, there is a small tank probably about the size you mentioned (15" dia and about 20" long). It is out of the picture, but there is one there. There is also a small drain from the unit, that goes into the waste pipe and is held in place with the hose clamp. As you can see, the two filter housings are off of the unit as well.

Thx

mariner

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To preserve the reverse osmosis membrane, it isn't unusual to try to filter out sediment and other stuff that might clog the filter out before it gets there.

In the process of filtering water through a membrane, you end up throwing a fair proportion down the drain, so that is why there is a connection there.

Have you tried Sears' website? Often you can find manuals there.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
RO cartridges must be kept wet, so there is a good chance it is shot. In fact, after three years idle, I would assume all kinds of bad things. You don't know the condition of the tank..is the bladder shot.

All in all, you will spend a bundle on parts to get this up and running. I would scrap the whole thing, and if you are really in love with RO, just get a new system from HD or Costco.

Mariner

Reaction score
RO cartridges must be kept wet, so there is a good chance it is shot. In fact, after three years idle, I would assume all kinds of bad things. You don't know the condition of the tank..is the bladder shot.

All in all, you will spend a bundle on parts to get this up and running. I would scrap the whole thing, and if you are really in love with RO, just get a new system from HD or Costco.

I did a bit of telephoning this morning after opening the unit up. To replace the two filters plus the membrane inner cost $188 + tax here in Canada. I can get a complete new unit for around $300 plus tax.

So yes Jimbo, you beat me to it. I needed to check to satisfy myself on what to do. For me the tap water is fine (through a just overhauled water softener) but the wife seems to think the RO would be better. Well, when she looks at the prices and the the difference in taste, she might just change her mind.

Thanks to all for your replies - much appreciated.

mariner

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
RO filtered water takes nearly everything out of the water...tastes funny to many people and is quite aggressive. Water is sometimes called the universal solvent...given enough time (sometimes eons!), nearly anything will disolve in water.

T. Scott

Reaction score
That RO unit looks like it has been bypassed. I see no sediment prefilter or carbon filter attached to the base. Without a carbon filter to remove chlorine, the membrane is definitely dead. You're better off buying a whole new system. I bought a complete RO system including pressure tank from Aquasafe for way less than $300. They ship out of BC so you can probably get delivery very cheap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks