Shorter length toilet needed

Users who are viewing this thread

irmatodd

Reaction score
I just replaced the toilet in my 1/2 bath with a round front low flow. It works great. However, it's located near a door that provides access under the stairway where the hot water heater is and now I can't open the door. I got the rough in right at 12", but never thought about the length/depth which blocks the opening. The space from the back wall to the door opening is 24" which would be along the side of the toilet. I found that there are toilets with a length of 26-3/8" and 26-3/4", but will that size solve my problem? The installers hauled off the old one so I don't know what the length was on that one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The length of the toilet is not what you have to be concerned with. You need the dimension from the bolt holes to the front of the toilet, because that is what will determine how much room you have for the door to open. Most round front toilets will have the same overall dimension because that is just the way they make them

angle-toilet-fer-sure.jpg

meaw

Reaction score
I just replaced the toilet in my 1/2 bath with a round front low flow. It works great. However, it's located near a door that provides access under the stairway where the hot water heater is and now I can't open the door. I got the rough in right at 12", but never thought about the length/depth which blocks the opening. The space from the back wall to the door opening is 24" which would be along the side of the toilet. I found that there are toilets with a length of 26-3/8" and 26-3/4", but will that size solve my problem? The installers hauled off the old one so I don't know what the length was on that one.

I think you should consider this toilet. Saniflo 023 Sanicompact 48 One Piece Macerating Toilet 18-3/4in Depth.. it's more expensive but it saves you a lot of headaches...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
How about a pocket door, folding door, removable panel instead of a door, etc.? I think it'd be easier to re-engineer a little-used door than the plumbing, but it depends on your specific situation. If it's really little-used, just pull the hinge pins when you need to get in there. I'd be more concerned about how you're going to get the water heater in our out if it should ever need to be replaced, but it wouldn't be unreasonable just to plan on pulling the toilet for this once-in-a-long-time event.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pocket doors can really save space in a small room. I have two bathrooms and both have pocket doors. The alternative of having the doors swing outward was not very attractive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks