Moen Monticello - New Shower Valve Leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

queenofthetile

Reaction score
I had a new shower valve installed when we were re-tiling our bathroom shower, and we had the spout capped until last night, when we were running the leak test on the new shower pan. It seemed to be working fine (other than not much pressure coming out of the pipe, but that could be because we didn't have a shower head on there), and it turned off fine with no drips. But at about 6AM this morning, when someone got up and took a shower in the other bathroom, and started running water in the kitchen (changing water pressure in the house?) it started to drip water like crazy! I only heard it because of the water test had the pan filled with the water, and it made lound splashing noises. It wasn't a little drip either, it was quite a bit of water splashing out of it.

Could the plumber have heated the valve too much when he was soldering the pipes around it and melted something in there? It seems wierd that it wouldn't leak all night, but only start leaking that morning all of a sudden. I couldn't turn it off either. I just had to put the cap back on the pipe.

Any ideas? Is there something I can do to fix this, or should I have that one cut out and another one put in? We haven't tiled the walls yet, so it is still exposed (thank goodness) if we need to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

At worst you just need a new core. It could have been overheated but that should not have produced you situation.

moen-monticello-shower-tango.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Anything is possible... I remove plastic cartridges from valves before I sweat them in place.

I would suggest calling 1-800-BUY-Moen... You do have a lifetime guarantee. They will send you free replacement parts!

queenofthetile

Reaction score
GRRRR.....okay. So I called Moen & they sent me a replacement plastic part. I had a heck of a time getting the old one out, and noticed that one of the rubber seals on the outside of the cartridge was torn, like it was cut on the edge. I felt around on the inside of the valve to see if there was a sharp edge, and it all felt smooth. Anyway, I replaced the plastic part of the cartridge and put it back in according to directions, and now it is leaking worse than before! In fact, it is a constant stream of water, not just dripping. I pulled the cartridge out and noticed that the new rubber piece on the side was also squished where the other one was. It wasn't sliced all the way through like the old one, but it was definitely not how it was supposed to be. Also, another question, is the pressure balancing valve inside the stem core supposed to come out the end of the cartridge? There is a plastic piece that fits on the end to keep it inside, but it comes off easily and the inside balancing valve will come out. Is this supposed to happen, because I didn't see anything about that in the instructions?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
you have the large posi-temp type cartridge.They should not come apart that easily. I found that lately 3 out of 10 valve bodies are slicing or disfiguring the cartridge rubber gaskets. Call them again and have them send you another one

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate R

Reaction score
you have the large posi-temp type cartridge.They should not come apart that easily. I found that lately 3 out of 10 valve bodies are slicing or disfiguring the cartridge rubber gaskets. Call them again and have them send you another one

Another what? Cartridge or a whole new body?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks