Kohler K3434 Rosario toilet repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have two Kohler K3434 Rosario toliets that I had to repair for a friend. We purchased two new flush valve assemblies (included the gasket and the flapper assembly) from Kohler and replaced them per the instructions. After flushing and having the tank refill, there is a leak past I think the flapper assembly. If I put some pressure on the flapper, the leak stops. I read an old (1999) E-mail sent to you with this same problem/same model but could not find your response. Was there a solution for this problem. I called Kohler and they told me to reseat the flush valve, which I did with no improvement.
Any suggestions?

Bob

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I was once told that smearing some vasalene on the flapper will help it seal in place. I have never tried that before. Its worth a shot. ..

The next step would be replacement of the flapper

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Petroleum products and rubber often don't mix well. If a flapper was not stored well, it could be warped, and not ever work right. Some flappers have both a ring that fits over the overflow tube and holes that fit over nubs on the side of the overflow. If it fits over the overflow, and has the nubs, it's best to only use one or the other, not both.

Grazzy

Reaction score
I was once told that smearing some vasalene on the flapper will help it seal in place. I have never tried that before. Its worth a shot. ..

The next step would be replacement of the flapper

If you MUST use a substance like vaseline, make it K-Y JELLY which is not petroleum based.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Umm KY is water soluable... It will just disappear.

Actually I'd agree at this point... Slather it up with vaselene and see if it seals!

If it does you need to find a flapper that will work without the grease!

If it doesn't sounds like the flush valve needs replacing!

wc9

Reaction score
How to remove Kohler Rosario/Rialto flush valve?

My Kohler Rosario K3434 (similar to the Rialto internally) has a small leak from tank to bowl. Replacing the flapper hasn't helped and the next thing I'd like to change is the flush valve gasket that goes in between the flush valve and the tank itself. How is the flush valve secured to the tank? I don't see any hardware that's securing it and just want to check before I start forcibly turning or pulling it. Thanks.

steve k

Reaction score
removing a Kohler toilet seat

How in the world can I remove the toilet seat on my Kohler model K3434 if the screws seem to be stripped???

tollyboy

Reaction score
A new boy on the site, but I just gotta say: I have a Kohler Rosario that had a worn flapper. It was working sorta, but slowly leakiing, so after 20 mins to a half hour you could hear the water refilling itself (if you know what I mean).
I tried the "smearing vaseline" on the flapper and it WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! Believe me, smearing vaseline on the bottom of the flapper stopped the problem. But I followed more advice and ordered a new flapper. After 20 mins of trying and trying again (I ain't no plumber!) I managed to fit the new flapper in place.
Thanks for that vaseline suggestion, and more pity that Kohler can't make flappers that don't deteriorate so quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks