Leaking Tub Faucet..taken off the handle..now what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Angela8

Reaction score
I'm a new home owner and I've decided to try to fix a leak in my tub myself before trying to call a plumber. I've so far got the handles off and then I'm a little lost as to what to do. It looks like there's a nut which I'm supposed to loosen but it's on pretty tight and I don't want to force it in case this isn't what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone have a diagram that I can compare to? Or can tell me what exactly I need to do from here?

I took some photos in case this will help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24784068@N05/

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. The drips are driving me insane.

Angela:confused:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That looks like a Crane tub and shower.

Remove the chrome sleeve (unsrew) and eschuchian
Shut off the water to the house
open tap full
remove retainer nut and cork washer carefully (outer edge of cartridge, close to the faucet body)
unscrew entire cartridge from housing.
This uses "dialese " repair kit. HD carries these repair parts

Last edited:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
BTW, the hot cartridge will have the letter "R" stamped on it and the cold water cartridge will have the letter "L" stamped on it (right / left)

Angela8

Reaction score
That looks like a Crane tub and shower.

Remove the chrome sleeve (unsrew) and eschuchian
Shut off the water to the house
open tap full
remove retainer nut and cork washer carefully (outer edge of cartridge, close to the faucet body)
unscrew entire cartridge from housing.
This uses "dialese " repair kit. HD carries these repair parts

Yes it is a crane faucet!!

Sorry just to clarify when you say retainer nut and cork washer close to the faucet body does that mean the nut that is closer to me or closer to the wall? And if its really tight to turn what should I do to loosen it without causing damage.

Is this a standard dialease repair kit or are there sizes? I'm hoping to pick one up before I attempt to take it off.

I really appreciate your help. I'm pretty much a newbie with this stuff.

Angela
:eek:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If you can take the old ones with you to get a perfect match would be the
best way to go.Pics of what they look like.

Attachments

• StemsDialese3.jpg
    StemsDialese3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,569

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The nut that I'm talking about is closer to the wall. As cwhyu2 posted, you can see what the cartridge looks like with the cork gasket. The retainer nut is not in the pic

The dialese repair kit is only 1 size. The only thing to worry about is the left and right cartridges. , in case you need to replace the entire cartridge
L or R stamped on the cartridge housing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks