Basement Wet Room Project

Users who are viewing this thread

izziebo

Reaction score
I just had a "handyman" who did some work for my neighbor in to give me an estimate for a basement bathroom renovation. He didn't seem to understand what I was talking about and now I'm looking for more information.

In the basement we have a two piece bathroom on a cement floor. It is quite small, the dimensions are approximately 4'x7'. I would like to completely tile the room and install a hand held shower set up with a drain in the middle of the room. These "wet rooms" are quite popular in the UK and Europe but not so much in North America.

There is currently no drain for a shower or tub. Is it possible to somehow connect a shower drain to the existing drain for the sink? If not, how big of a deal $$ would it be to have a new drain installed?

I don't intend on doing this myself, I just want to try to educate myself before I set out on this project.

Thank you in advance for any information or input you can provide.

izziebo

Reaction score
Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I want to do.

Attachments

• Downstairs Bathroom.JPG
    Downstairs Bathroom.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 9,787

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shower drain in the US is supposed to be 2". It depends somewhat on how deep the drain line runs...it sounds like there's a toilet in there now, so it is probably deep enough to put a trap for the shower. The entire floor would need to be sloped to the drain, and that complicates installation of the toilet. It would also end up being fairly thick at the doorway to allow for the slope. You could have a flat, sloped floor (like a ramp) with the drain at the low end. I don't know what the local inspector would think of this idea. The sloped bed needs to have a slope of about 1/4" per foot, and needs at least some thickness to hold together.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for some ideas on tiling. If your local inspector is on board, yes, it can be done.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Given enough time and money, almost anything is possible. However, I would suggest you have a plumbing contractor come in and not only estimate the cost to do what you are thinking, but perhaps he can suggest a more economical and/or practical solution. For instance, does the shower absolutely have to be in this small space or could it be adjacent to this room? In other words, think outside the box.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
.... somehow connect a shower drain to the existing drain for the sink? If not, how big of a deal $$ would it be to have a new drain installed? ....
it's probably bigger than you are figuring. It's a big deal for anyone, experienced or not. Based on these two questions, I think it'll be a big deal.

If you want more information, draw a floor plan showing where your drain pipes are in the floor, and post it.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks