Old 1 3/8" Bathroom Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: All my old bathroom sinks have a 1 3/8" drain tailpiece. One needs replacement, but I can't find anything other than 1 1/4" tailpieces. Plus, the overflow holes don't match up. Does anyone have 1 3/8" tailpieces? Why did they change to the smaller size over the years? Thanks--Marty 1
:confused:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe you're looking at an 1-1/4" tailpiece not an 1-3/8". These are measured on the inside diameter, not the outside. I've never heard of an 1-3/8" tailpiece, but who knows....maybe 100 years or so ago there were such animals???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tailpiece

They ARE measured by the o.d., not the i.d. American Standard used a reducing tailpiece which was like a funnel. A larger thread and a 1 1/4" o.d. trap connection. A conventional pop-up drain should fit the sink but if you just need the tailpiece a good plumbing supply store will have a 1 3/8" threaded tube which is usually used for leg style bathtubs.

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: If I measure across the opening inside the sink at the drain, it is 1 3/8". Directly under the sink, the drain measures 1 5/8" (O.D) then it narrows down. Marty

plumbernj

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi: If I measure across the opening inside the sink at the drain, it is 1 3/8". Directly under the sink, the drain measures 1 5/8" (O.D) then it narrows down. Marty

They sure do make that size. I stock it in my truck.
I mainly need it on old bathtub drains. 1 3/8"

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do not measure the sink hole to determine what size you need. A standard 1 1/4" lav drain should fit fine. The 1 5/8" you mention is a 1½" sch. 40 trap. You would use a 1½" X 1 1/4" trap adapter if you are looking at a bare ( glue up ) hub. If it it threaded, with a nut, you just need a 1½ X 1 1/4 reducing slip joint washer.

Marty 1

Reaction score
I'll keep looking for that 1 3/8" drain. Thanks again--Marty.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
call around and find an old style tub drain

Probably the only way I know of to get your hands on
some 1 3/8 drain pipe is to buy an old style tub drain kit
for a claw foot tub.....

it would come with 2 1 3/8 nipples about 6 inches long and
it would come with an over flow pipe about 14 inches long

thats about the only way I have ever come across that size pipe, was for the complete tub drain replacement box.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm going to be extremely surprised and shocked if you find such a pipe and fittings:eek:

The only thing that comes remotely close to this od size, is tubular tubing (very light gauge and thin walled) If you ever find it, I want to know who sold it to you.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
1-3/8" tub drains are very common in some older area's.
There IS a such thing...using no-hub adapters is the easiest way to secure them.
Be VERY careful, 1-3/8" drains are usually old and frail...too much force or movement can create hidden leaks.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Grumpy is right! Older parts of the city this is plenty common.I carr 1 3/8
nuts and o rings to relace any washers...yes.I found 1 3/8 nuts and no washers!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't find it worth the time to chase for parts that are that old. I tend to let the customer know this. Every year it get harder to find the older stuff. This might be a good sign for an upgrade.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dearborn Brass makes an 1-3/8 x 12 tailpiece threaded both ends. We have them in stock here. That being said, I have never seen one used on a lavy sink. They are for clawfoot tub drains. Every single lavy drain I have ever seen is 1-1/4 (o.d.). They also make a reducing tailpiece like HJ said. It has 1-1/2 threads and reduces down to a standard 1-1/4 tube. The threads on an 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 tailpiece do measure slightly smaller than 1-1/2 o.d. Maybe this is what you have.

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: Thanks to all of you for your input. I'm not sure if everyone understands the part I'm having trouble with. Here's the deal: I have two identical 1948 Crane wall-mounted bathroom sinks. One has its original drain, so I know what it looks like and its size. The other sink has a replacement drain that was bought at an Ace store. The Ace drain is 1 1/4", and it fits, and it's in use right now. But the problem is that it's so small it doesn't seat properly in the bottom of the sink, and it tends to leak. The original drain in the other sink is much larger, and it comes up further and causes no problems. I want a drain like the original, and I think the size is 1 3/8". Does that clear up what I'm looking for? Marty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks