Toilet Bowl Bends

Users who are viewing this thread

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Dear Terry,
I finally got "netted" up again, and I'm writing because, I've noticed there has been no change in the waste pipe designs of toilet bowls.
I've noticed that tanks give us less water to use for flushing waste and the manufactureres have put more restrictions in the way to an efficient flush of the wastes for which a toilet is used. What's UP???
I'm looking forward to a lively discussion on this and all other plumbing subjects.
Yours,
Rudy the Plbr

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
As I was isntructed by one of my suppliers. With all the new consevation regulations coming out everyday.

The theory behind this water restrictions. You would not need alot of water when flushing any liquid waste, hence they came out with 1.6g/flush. If you need to flush solids, then you are required to physically hold the handle down so that the entire tank empties into the bowl, giving you a better flush action.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To that theory, I say bull...if your pipes are properly installed, if the waste makes it into the drain system (i.e., out of the toilet), it will eventually make it to the main sewer. Yes, a low-flow toilet will (usually) dump more water if you hold the handle down, and some poor designs may require it because their engineering is lousy, but it is not necessary.

The only problem I can see is if you had a long drain line that was maybe flushed once a week or so...and even a 5-6 gallon flush might not push it all the way to the sewer.

Normal household use periodically has additional flushes, showers, washing machine dumps, etc., to flush the lines. Do you think running the sink for a minute or so after using the garbage disposer gets all of the crud you just ground out all the way to the street? Unlikely, and sinks are restricted flow, so even after a minute would likely only equal that of flushing a toilet, and the volume all at once is nothing compared to a toilet.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The way I understood the initial statement above, it has to do with the WC not being able to take the complete waste flush. It had nothing to do with any pipes having any kind of slope. It has more to do with the amount of water in the tank to do a proper flush out of a toilet. The statement that I saw , said nothing about garbage disposals or any type of sink

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Krow and Rudy,
Since when have the toilets quit flushing waste?

Everything I sell flushes everything with 1.6 or less.
I've also used toilets that flush everything with 1.1 gallons.

The one I sell the most of, is the Toto Drake, but they make other models that work too.
Every manufacturer has something they sell that works.
Some are better than others, quality control can vary, but I would say things "are" moving.

What toilets are you guys selling that don't work?

www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Some are better than others, quality control can vary, www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
This is my point . I never suggested that all 1.6 gallon flushes are bad. I only suggested that not all wc's take all the waste without holding down the handle at one time.. I never once suggested that it doesn't take any solid waste.
Some brands happen to flush better than others and other brands can't flush worth a crap

(All puns intended) lol

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since there are toilets that will flush solids well without holding the handle down to get the extra water, why would you even consider installing one that will not. I freely admit to being a Toto fan, but in fairness, there are other brands that work well, too.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
A home owner would not, in their right mind, consider to install a wc that does not flush well, but a builder in a subdivision will. He has nothing to lose after the house is sold. He has given the customer the bare minimum............... as long and water swirls around the bowl, he has done his job.................. whether it works well, thats a different story

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks