Polybutylene Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am a home owner remodeling my bathroom and I am wondering about the POLYBUTYLENE pipe in the walls. I know there are thousands of reported problems on the internet but I have not heard any of my neithbors having problems.

Rather than worry about having to tear out my new tub and shower I am wondering about replumbing it while the walls are open. That brings me to my questions.

What pipe should I use? I have heard copper does not hold up well in this area.

How can I get the water line to the shower? I have attached pictures showing the bathtub and shower rough in. The tub roughin appears to have additional lines connected that MAY be going to the shower. How probable is that? If not could I just add another set of lines to go to the shower?

I can't get to the shower through the ceiling or floor (without busting up the floor all the way across. I can go behind the tub to the shower, but then how do I make the bend at the corner?

Thanks for your help!

DSC_0053_low.jpg
DSC_0064_low.jpg
DSC_0065_low.jpg
DSC_0066_low.jpg

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Not a useful reply, but I love the pipe clamp right above the Ts.

PEX would probably be a good choice. You will need a tool and know how to use it properly. They tend to be brand specific.

Construct30

Reaction score
UPONOR PEX hands down, you can transition from the PB pipe and just do part at a time. You have to use the expansion fittings and tools, don't use any cheap fittings that are designed for DIYer's to get by with PEX like watts or quest or sharkbites even. Any other brand of PEX is risky at best. Zurn and many others have lawsuits pending and if copper is having trouble in your area you want to avoid brass fittings, Stick with UPONOR pipe fittings and tools, you won't regret it. All of the PB pipe I've fixed had all plastic fittings. I've not seen the copper fittings, it was the fittings that caused most of the trouble, that I know of. What markings are on that pipe?

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, you have poly pipes and copper fittings. Poly has known issues and if copper does hold up well in your area then you should deal with it now while you have the walls open. These failures happen from the inside out, so without cutting into them you really have no idea as to the overall condition.

This is a slab on grade house; right? Depending on climate, the easiest way to repipe the house would be through the attic. Hopefully, one of the pros on the board will be along shortly to help you. This may not be a DIY job for you.

Have you consulted a local plumber? Ask around and find one with a good reputation. If all else fails call the local supply house for a referral. A local plumber can probably give you a better assessment as to what repairs are needed now.

-Sam

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Polybutylene is sensitive to anti-bacterial chemicals in water. If your city treats water regularly, then PB is not a good pipe. However, if, like me, you live where the water is good enough to not need treatment, the PB should last a very long time.

PEX is a good choice to hook onto it - there are transition fittings from PB - PEX that come with a crimp ring for both. (There is a difference in the ID of the crimp rings.)

Vanguard is also a good choice of fittings.

Construct30

Reaction score
Does vanguard have plastic fittings, like UPONOR? I've seen brass. No brass if the water eats copper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
The only markings on the pipe I can make out say "100 PSI".

I have looked all over the internet for UPONOR tools (crimper) but I don't find any. Where can I get them?

My local plumbing supply says to use UPONOR and that the crimper they sell is $160. Does that sound right?

pb-piping-with-shutoffs.jpg

POLYBUTYLENE piping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Any idea what the double lines feeding the bathtub are for? Could these be feeding the shower as well?

Construct30

Reaction score
UPONOR does not use a crimper, it is expansion style. That's Ok if that's what it is. Check out the big aution site they won't let us list here.

Odds are they tee off and feed something else.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Best brand of PEX and best crimp tool for that brand

You say you see some bad crimps? What do you look for?

Can you tell me what brand of PEX to use and what crimp tool to use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the people indicate they think UPONOR is the best choice from what I read here. UP0NOR does NOT use a crimp. As opposed to sliding the tubing over a barbed fitting then crimping it to obtain the proper seal, UPONOR uses a larger barbed fitting, that you can't slide the tubing over. Obviously, it needs to go over it, so instead, they use a tool to expand the tubing along with a reinforcing ring of the same material. Once it is expanded, then you slide it on the fitting and hold it for a moment. It then returns to the original size and creates the seal. By not using a crimp tool, it doesn't need to be calibrated, and it is less of a variable as to whether it is done right. With Wirsbo, if the reinforcement ring is in the proper place, the tubing is cut square, and inserted fully onto the barb, it is right. On the others, if you don't use the right tool, or don't know how to crimp, or it is out of calibration, the joint can come apart, or if too tight, create other problems.

The advantage of PEX is you can run it around corners and thread it through walls with no fittings, so there are fewer chances of a leak. Fewer fittings also give better flow. the ID of PEX is smaller than copper, but with fewer fittings, you may end up with the same flow. PEX is not affected by freezing, but fittings are. It will just expand, then return to its normal size once it thaws out.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Delta R10000 fittings

I am using the Delta R10000 with thread fittings. Are you supposed to use any special fittings on this faucet? The plumber is having a hard time getting it to stop leaking.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Any other brand of PEX is risky at best. Zurn and many others have lawsuits pending and if copper is having trouble in your area you want to avoid brass fittings, Stick with UPONOR pipe fittings and tools, you won't regret it.

Enlighten me! How can 2 be construed as many? Zurn and Kitec is all I have heard of!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I am using the Delta R10000 with thread fittings. Are you supposed to use any special fittings on this faucet? The plumber is haing a hard time getting it to stop leaking.

Somewhere on some site on the internet there's a guy with this same problem with this pipe, oh wait the brass fittings. Follows in line with Zurn even though it wasn't that particular brand.

The first mistake is that the plumber is making a crucial mistake if he turns out this plastic pipe for the tub spout and shower head; it will cause the shower head to run at the same time as the tub spout. Has everything to do with ID of the pipe.

If he caught it, understands that's spec'd for the faucet, you'll be fine.

You're saying that copper doesn't do well in your area but every fitting in that PB, as old as it is shows no deterioration.

I guess what I'm asking is where's the logic that applies to your specific situation.

And when copper has "issues" it's usually stemming from poor water quality, the bigger problem that everyone covers up with plastic pipe.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Leak Update

The plumber got the diverter to stop leaking by tightening the adapters.

But it looked like he was REALLY tightening them. To the point I thought he might strip them. Is that "normal". Is it required "sometimes"?

Update, Thursday 3/6. The 4 fittings on the shower diverter are not leaking this morning. Saw two small drips early last night but dry this morning. Should we leave it alone?

One leak in a PEX joint. Bad crimp probably.

How long would I let everything set before I can be sure it is not going to leak?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
give it about 6 months

rsmith99;127581<break /> <break /> One leak in a PEX joint. Bad crimp probably.<break /> <break /> How long whould I let everything set before I can be sure it is not going to leak?[/quote said:
I have not read this whole thread,

I hope that you are changing out all the poly pipe
including the stuff under the concrete...I have dealt with the broken poly
pipe under the concrete before....

if their is a way to get it all out of the floor , by all means DO IT...

I would stay away from a lot of the PEX's out there....
they will break your heart some day

if you did not use the UPONOR and you go with some other sub-standard stuff,

I would wait a while, then wait a little longer...

the plumber probably should have built up
the faucet out of copper and adapted to the PEX a ways out
from the faucet so it would be more solid...

in any case I suggest 6 months just to be sure

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks