Japanese squatting toilet - obtaining and installing

Users who are viewing this thread

johnlvs2run

Reaction score
I'm interested to construct a squatting toilet in one of two bathrooms. They are popular around the world, but scarce in the U.S. I would rather purchase one but in lieu of this perhaps I could construct one of ceramic and tiles. It is important to me to install one as soon as possible.

I've been looking into finding one for a week. The local supplier said a distributor told him they are against the code in the U.S., which doesn't make any sense. I understand they don't meet ADA guidelines for public buildings, due to some people not being able to squat, though religious institutions are exempt. However, I'm looking to install one in my home, not in a public location.

I'm looking for feedback as to (1) where to obtain a squatting toilet, (2) sources and model numbers of squatting toilets, (3) any codes that I might need to be aware of in dealing with distributors or suppliers, (4) any other helpful information.

squatting-toilet.jpg

Here is a video of the operation of one that is similar to the photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet

http://www.naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
The code issue probably relates to inadequate trap seal, or in the case of most "squatters", the complete absence of trap-seal. The trap seal is the distance between the water surface and the top of the trap (where the waste is evacuated) of the toilet and is important for preventing sewer gases from entering the dwelling.

Typical code regarding trap seal states something like "Each fixture trap shall have a liquid seal of not less than 2 inches (51 mm) and not more than 4 inches (102 mm)." A tradesman may have more detail but I'm pretty sure trap seal compliance is a requirement in all installations whether residential, commercial, or public.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Japanese people are short, hardly ever overweight, eat a diet that leaves hard stool out of the equation and most times it is very small like my pet iguana's.

Being short allows for a shorter distance travelled in motion of body to use this device which in the aspect of code this device limits the users of various types and does not conform to any plausible standard found in American plumbing codes.

This device is as useful as a floor drain with a bucket of water nearby, that's it. The wife needs to be a little more understanding when you marry and bring them back to this country that we as Americans do NOT go over to japan and try to change their plumbing system for personal desire.

This is Paul Harvey....

Good Day!

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
those are nasty

I suppose you have been over to japan or mexico
or places that have those god awful things.....

A normal toilet sort of limits the "blast zone"

while going to the bathrooom to the confines of the bowl...

I have seen some pretty nasty sights in public restrooms
before when someone literallly dropped the atom bomb...
mushroom cloud and all left spalttered all over those foot grips....

and I would rather go to the bathroom in the alley
before squatting over one of those dirty things....

just my opinioin...

to the confines of the bowl....

Last edited:

johnlvs2run

Reaction score
Scott - Many of the squatting toilets do have the trap seal. I don't know the details but this would seem to meet the requirements for the seal.

Rugged - I'm interested in getting a squatting toilet for fitness and health reasons. I didn't know the Japanese were mostly short people but I've never had any problem squatting and can sit in a squat for two minutes with no practice. It is surprising that most Americans are not able to do this even for an instant. Sadly, my parents as they got older were not able to get up from the floor if they fell, and only able to walk with great difficulty. If nothing else, the idea of a squatting toilet is a source of great entertainment.

Mark - Perhaps my experience as a runner has prepared me for such an exacting test, as I've never had any problems when tucking behind a nearby bush or tree, in discrete locations of course. Rather, I've found this much easier than trying to make deposits in a large pot full of water. In any case, I'm sure it will work well for my purposes.

Regarding public restrooms, there are many videos on youtube and the ones with squatting toilets appear to be quite clean compared to public restrooms in the United States. There's a saying that "I'd rather stand where someone else has been standing, than sit where someone else has been sitting".

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Rugged - I'm interested in getting a squatting toilet for fitness and health reasons.

Every sports fitness place in my area will tell you that squatting takes a huge toll on the operation of the knees over time. Your first knee injury will disable you from using it.

There are tons of things you can do in a gym that will offer the same utilization of exercise.

For people with back injuries a doctor will recommend removing a toilet seat for the user and straddle the toilet during use.

This helps with bowel movements because it creates a difference with how the pelvis sits, allowing for easier defecations.

That motion with removing the seat offers the same positioning without harm to the body/knees.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet.

I have bad knees/back.........everything and these motions >>> squatting are destructive. People with bad joints, consider them runners that ran all their life and that constant repetitive motion causes joint/leg/back issues.

My teacher who ran every day for years, was forced to ride a bike now because the doctor through a "or else" variable into the equation of ending injury.

Cookie

Reaction score
I got to tell you John, if I came home and found my husband had put a squatting toilet in, he would see the trap very clearly, for I would push his head in it, :D Now, that would be entertaining. Save your money and do deep knee bends.

johnlvs2run

Reaction score
Rugged - I am 61 and have exercised for most of my life. I've run 36 marathons, done 3 on a rowing machine, do pull ups, cycling, floor exercises and continuous weights. This morning I ran 10 minutes to warm up, did a 5k at a fast pace then 25x 400 meters with 30 second rests on the rowing machine, which is a relatively easy day for me as I usually do quite a bit more. My knees are fine, and are probably much stronger than yours.

I seriously want to get one of these squatting toilets and install it.

If anyone else has any helpful suggestions, let me know.

Cookie - I'm only going to change one of them. ;)

bec_1160bo_angle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Rugged - I am 61 and have exercised for most of my life. I've run 36 marathons, done 3 on a rowing machine, do pull ups, cycling, floor exercises and continuous weights. This morning I ran 10 minutes to warm up, did a 5k at a fast pace then 25x 400 meters with 30 second rests on the rowing machine, which is a relatively easy day for me as I usually do quite a bit more. My knees are fine, and are probably much stronger than yours.;)

Okay, you da boss. I'll probably be using a bedpan by the time I'm 61, you'll be 83 and still running I bet.

Just trying to help a set of knees out, that's all.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
There is a mosque in Phoenix that put some of these in...
They had to get the health dept and plumbing inspections dept to come out and give them special permission as the squat plates they wished to use were not "listed" and approved...
The items were not code compliant (no air break etc...)...

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Toto to see if they can ship you one from their Asian branch? Another way is to find a service member in Japan and see if he'll ship one to you. I've seen these in Japan all the time and they don't smell. Just curious, why do you want one?

Reaction score
Trap.....

Hey Johnlvs2run.
I hope you are not Japanese, cause a few of the posts here seem to be a little "non politically correct".. someones gotta apologize for them thar folks.
WWII was over quite a while ago....some "people" just wont let it go.

The issue was mentioned earlier....you must have a water trap.
You would somehow need to devise a trap under the fixture to prevent gasses.
If your floor is concrete slab , this is a tough one.
Assuming you devised some kind of trap above the floor, it would defeat the purpose of your fixture.
UNLESS, you decided to make some kind of podium that you would walk up to , sort of like a second level that you step up to.
Sounds like a bigger project than most would want to tackle.
I suggest you google plans for installation of one of those fixtures and see how they are plumbed .
Good luck.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
four your personal use only use onley

If perhaps this is just for you to use,

I suppose its your decision... whatever thrills you
but I think youi ought to consider the re-sale value of the home
no one else will want to tolerate that and it will have to be removed..'

also......I would think that you would about have to take your
pants off just to use one of those things.........

If you never have bouts of diaareea,
projectile blasts, or get the flu often are in any form of
distress......

well jolley good for you.......

In Europe they use a Bidet after every movement..
its very popular among the rich.....

and they think that they are dirty if they dont wash off and then dry off with a towell....

I supppose for your company you could always have something
that could be adapted to that squaltting toilet...

just keep it near and cut out the bottom

perhaps you could even put some sort of foam cusioin around that lip......

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Hey Johnlvs2run.
I hope you are not Japanese, cause a few of the posts here seem to be a little "non politically correct".. someones gotta apologize for them thar folks.
WWII was over quite a while ago....some "people" just wont let it go.

The issue was mentioned earlier....you must have a water trap.
You would somehow need to devise a trap under the fixture to prevent gasses.
If your floor is concrete slab , this is a tough one.
Assuming you devised some kind of trap above the floor, it would defeat the purpose of your fixture.
UNLESS, you decided to make some kind of podium that you would walk up to , sort of like a second level that you step up to.
Sounds like a bigger project than most would want to tackle.
I suggest you google plans for installation of one of those fixtures and see how they are plumbed .
Good luck.

Apologize?

Never.

I shouldn't have to explain as a service plumber that I work in the restrooms of japanese restaurants (employee restrooms), their personal homes, "other" places they eat at like asian buffets and the like. I'm on target with their diet and what comes out the other end. You want pictures? I have a camera phone for spectacle.

And before I have to repeat to clarify, they've been here for years, your reference to WW2 doesn't apply to my thinking, especially at 38.

I just have the unfortunate reality of what comes out of their *** on random basis. You stand corrected on all counts.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Dad brought home a pet jap after the war, but then came political correctness and transistor radios, and we got friendly with them. Traded for an Iguana.

Lets give the Muslim excrement some research too.

Ahaaahaaaaahaaaa!!!

SO that's why tototalitarian made those statements. You are obviously older than me to referencing to the germans and the japanese.

At one time I was working for a great deal of transplants from japan from the toyota plant in my area.

NEVER wear shoes in their home, ever. They do accept foot booties I believe. Very nice people and if you're renting homes to them, protected investment to the tee.

"gives pet iguana pat on head"

Cookie

Reaction score
We don't wear shoes in our home either, but I never ask anyone to take off their shoes, that is just rude. Plus, be careful in those booties, Rugged they can be slippery on the wrong surfaces. Especially, walking down the stairs even carpeted ones, worse the wooden stairs. Take those things off and wear your shoes and tell them you have to for safety reasons. Period. Protect yourself first, it is your back if you fall. Remind them if you fall, it will be their liability, and I would make it so, too.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't been to Japan, but I've seen some of the parts catalogs for plumbing. they have everything we do, and everything they do.

When people are used to squatting, they will continue to do it.
My grandson, part Korean, squats too.
He learned to stand on the toilet seat.

Two of my nieces taught English in Japan for a year or two. Their grand parents were from Japan, and had moved to Hilo Hawaii before the war.

When my daughter visited her husbands relatives in Manila in the Philippines, they came back wanting a bidet seat.

When my sister lived in Lebanon with her husband, they saw squat toilet in use at some airports.

Me, I like it that some of the places I go hiking have outdoor seats to sit on. I think my favorite is in the Enchantments, what a view.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks