Expansion Tank Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

BigSkeet

Reaction score
I was able to find this previous post here: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3476...still have a couple of novice questions.

1. Is it necessary to drain the water heater when installing an expansion tank? 80 gallons is a lot to discharge, and we're under severe drought restrictions right now.
2. Can the expansion tank be located anywhere on the cold water line, or is there a preferred location? My only available location to stick this puppy is a crawl space just after the pressure reducing valve.

If anyone has any additional guidance, do's or don'ts, please share!

Thanks,
BigSkeet
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
It's not necessary to drain the heater.

The best location is probably right above the heater. These tanks do fail and it's a good idea to keep them accessible for replacement. Remember to support the tank if it's horizontally-mounted.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No need to drain the water heater. The tank has to be installed between the PRV and the tank, so it sounds like you are good to go. Be sure the tank is well supported, it will weigh a fair amount when it has water in it. If you are using a Watts brand, there are good examples of how you can properly install and support the tank.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Does orientation matter?

All of Watts' illustrations show their tanks hanging down from a horizontal pipe. Due to space limitations, I'd like to install mine upside down -- i.e., above the pipe. Since it's a bladder system, I don't see why it would matter.

Fidodie

Reaction score
if you install it upside down, then air goes up into the tank, and cann't get out -reducing the functionality of the tank. vertical, opening up is best.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
All of Watts' illustrations show their tanks hanging down from a horizontal pipe. Due to space limitations, I'd like to install mine upside down -- i.e., above the pipe. Since it's a bladder system, I don't see why it would matter.

That's how I did mine - I agree, can't see why, with a bladder, why the orientation should matter.

Also, if you are short on space between the PRV and the WH, you should actually be able to install the expansion tank virtually anywhere on the cold water side as long as it is after the PRV. When you have thermal expansion, the pressure anywhere in the system after the PRV, be it on the hot OR cold side, should be the same.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Orientation of a bladder tank isn't that critical during normal operation. The problem comes when it fails, which it will eventually. If it is hanging, when you take it off, you won't dump 2-3 gallons on yourself while unscrewing it like you might if it was horizontal or vertical.

Mikey

Reaction score
if you install it upside down, then air goes up into the tank, and cann't get out -reducing the functionality of the tank. vertical, opening up is best.
I would think the more air in the tank, the better it would work...

Mikey

Reaction score
Orientation of a bladder tank isn't that critical during normal operation. The problem comes when it fails, which it will eventually. If it is hanging, when you take it off, you won't dump 2-3 gallons on yourself while unscrewing it like you might if it was horizontal or vertical.
I'm doing the ball-valve-and-gauge thing recommended in the other thread, and the ball valve I'm using has a drain on it for these occasions. I'm using the DET-12 tank, which as I remember is a 4.5 gallon (~27 lbs of water) unit.

I'll bet that I have the only water heater on wheels in the country. Details on request.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A ball valve is useful to keep the water draining out of the pipes, but it won't do anything about the water draining out of the tank if it is upside down...or, for that matter, on its side. Just unscrew it quick, and it probably won't all leak out, but consider, you may not have enough room to turn it upright if it is in a tight place, and it could be draining all the while. It doesn't flow uphill, though, so hanging has its advantages;)

Mikey

Reaction score
Ah, but this is a special valve. It's got a small drain port on it to allow draining of one side of the valve when it's closed. I've got this on the side toward the tank, so if I close the valve and open the drain port, theoretically the water will drain out of the tank and line and into whatever I've got under the valve.

Valve.jpg

It's a T200SW by American Valve, and is made in you-know-where.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The expansion tank should cut into the water system between the cold valve for the water heater and the inlet of the water heater so that protection is maintained even if the valve is shut off. The expansion tank however could be piped to any location you desire.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That will work only if you drill a hole in the tank, otherwise, it's like putting a finger over the end of a straw...

Mikey

Reaction score
Good point. However, about the only reason I can think of to want to remove the tank is that it's gone bad -- i.e., the bladder has failed (much like mine :(). In that case, I'd just remove the Schrader valve and let the tank vent through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks