Question on Ceiling Boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

moeronn

Reaction score
Has the standard ceiling box (for light fixtures) changed since 1970?

I've installed new light fixtures in my condo - which was built in 1969. Installing the mounting brackets was no problem, as the screw holes lined up fine with the box. However, the mounting screws that attach the fixtures to the bracket always interfere with the box. Have the standard size of the box increased?

FWIW, most of the wiring is 12 guage/20a with 1/2" flex con, also acting as ground.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There are also 3" round and 4" round boxes....always have been.

I agree on the "idiot" part though. Everthing else (switces/receps) is pretty well standardized but they can't seem to come up with a universal fixture mounting method.

moeronn

Reaction score
So this leaves me with two options -
1. Replace the boxes - 6 ceiling, 2 vanity - and maybe 2 ceiling fans.
2. Keep the existing boxes and while the wiring is still in the box, the mounting screws may be poking into the drywall and the fixture may not be centered on the box.

I'm not really concerned about some drywall cutting. The main concern is how easy/difficult it is to install boxes in the openings. Do they make "retrofit" metal boxes that can easily be secured to the studs/joists?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Why not just cut the mounting screws and space the fixture bracket off the ceiling a 1/4"??? This will give you ample room, the other thing is some boxes have two sets of threaded holes, so alot of times you dont even need the fixture bar...

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't change the boxes. Use different brackets, drill some holes in something.

There is ALWAYS a way.

Post a pic of the box, bracket and fixture.

BTW, welcome to our world. A simple 10 minute job turns into a 45 minute fiasco because of some moeronn engineer.

Last edited:

moeronn

Reaction score
BTW, welcome to our world. A simple 10 minute job turns into a 45 minute fiasco because of some moeronn engineer.
Hey, wait a second... how'd you know I was an engineer?

I think cutting the screws will be the easiest thing to do. That, or I'll see if I can buy a couple dozen in a shorter length than the fixtures came with.

Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome. Considering I've been switching nearly daily between electrician, plumber, painter, carpenter and general laborer, this place will come in handy. The joys of DIY...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks