ARGH! I'm an idiot....broke my closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

xnaron

Reaction score
Sigh...I over tightened one of the bolts on my closet flange and broke the abs flange at the bolt mount (at least I didn't break the toilet). The flange is an inside flush mount flange that goes into a 4" ABS pipe mounted in a concrete floor. At this point I think I have two options.

1. Drill it out. Buy/Rent a 4" pipe hog reamer and drill out the old closet flange and install a new one. I need to see if I can find one.

2. Mount a new closet bolt into the concrete and use the existing flange. Only need to do one side. I'm not sure what to use to do this. Do I buy plastic anchors and cut the head off a closet flange bolt and use it? Can someone give me some advice on the best way to tackle this.

Sigh...very depressing at this stage.

thanks for any help,

Brendin

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

xnaron

Reaction score
Use a flange repair kit. It looks like a 1/4 circle with the bolt slot. They sell it at HD.

I think I'm leaning toward reaming it out and installing a new closet flange. If I can't find a reamer to rent I'll either repair it with the flange repair kit you mention or drill out some holes in the concrete and anchor the closet bolts right into some plastic anchors. Man this really sucks...

Brendin

xnaron

Reaction score
jsut go get one of those and slide it under
the abs flange .......mucu much easier that you think

Its a flush mount floor flange. I don't think I can slip anything under it without have to cut it to make room. Unless I am missing the obvious here (which isn't out of the question being the genious who over tightened the bolts :) ).

Brendin

Last edited:

xnaron

Reaction score
I have talked to people at local plumbing shops and they suggest it is possible to cut the inside flange vertically into quarters and then use a slim chisel to seperate the inside quarter sections from the abs pipe. Anyone do this before?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's been described here before. It works better on abs than pvc, as they use different methods to make the connection. Abs is more like an applied glue, pvc is more of a melt, merge, but it appears it can be done with both, but the pvc will look much worse for wear.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
try the lennox first

all you have to do is either chisel under that side
of the flange that was broken.....make some room to
tap that new half moon fitting under the broken flange lip

put the new bolt into place inside the repair flange, then
tap it into place

you will have to cut the old section on center so the
bolt and repair will slide into place where it should be....

I would do this first before I would ever attempt to cut out a
ABS inner type flange.........your odds are not good.....

fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.....

xnaron

Reaction score
all you have to do is either chisel under that side
of the flange that was broken.....make some room to
tap that new half moon fitting under the broken flange lip

put the new bolt into place inside the repair flange, then
tap it into place

you will have to cut the old section on center so the
bolt and repair will slide into place where it should be....

I would do this first before I would ever attempt to cut out a
ABS inner type flange.........your odds are not good.....

fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.....

I am definitely willing to try this first. Can you post a link to the lennox you are suggesting I try. I want to make sure I try the right thing. I searched online and can't find a pic.

thanks,
Brendin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks