cast iron radiators

Users who are viewing this thread

mowin

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently purchased a home for rehab that was abandoned before winter set in. As such, the boiler and bout half the radiators cracked.

Is it possible to mix a new type steel radiator with some of the existing cast iron?

I've been told of different heat radiation values from the cast to the steel and it wouldn't work.

Cannot find any used cast without paying exorbinant sums.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

BigLou

Reaction score
mowin.
as long as the radiator is properly sized to provide the room with the correct amount of BTU's it should not matter what its made out of

Lou

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
IMO, It does matter. The cast iron takes longer to heat up and it also takes longer to cool down, the steel or copper rads tend to heat up quicker, but on the down side, cool down quicker as well. If the thermostat is in an area which is being heated with cast iron rad, the rooms with the steel rads will cool down when thermostat isn't calling for heat.

However , if you can balance the house according to the type of rad , ei; a cast iron rad valve can be closed slightly to allow the steel rads to heat up for a longer period of time, then you will be good to go.

Seaneys

Reaction score
Is there any chance you could zone the two systems radiators separately if you got into trouble? It would give you a brute force way to balance the heat load if needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are thermostatic control valves for radiators that would work fine to balance the rooms out (or at least I think you'd have a chance to do it). They go in place of a shutoff valve.

mowin

Reaction score
interesting,

Thanks folks.

In one reply that is what I understand that if the thermo is in the cast room, the steel rad rooms will cool down to quickly.

Dual zoning would not be practical.

If there was a thermo on the steel rads, if the boiler was not on due to the main thermo in the cast room, it wouldn't make a difference cause heated water would not be "on" ? i.e. if the steel thermo "said" give me heat, there wouldn't be any to give cause the boiler would not be on, circulatory pump not running ?

Thoughts?

And P.S. If anyone knows were to purchase used cast rads w/o a second mortg. much appreciated.

thank you!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You could let the circulator run, and let each room adjust it's needs based on its thermostat. These are totally mechanical, no electrical parts - they adjust the flow through the radiator to maintain the user set temperature. This also makes it easier to cool off a room that isn't being used to a predictable temperature. The boiler could be set to turn on when the return was a certain temp using aquastats, and abandon the central thermostat.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Where are you located??

Just wondering about where you are located
and wether you have done an assessment of
your air conditioning??

if you got to sink a lot of money into the
place , if everythign is frozen and
cracked here and there
just wondering if it would be more feasalbe
to switch to a forced air system ??

mowin

Reaction score
thanks for your posts.

I really don't think a forced air system would work.
The house was built in 1930's and all the outside walls are brick and masonary. No insulation. No way to insulate unless the wall were built out - inside.

I believe a hydronic system the only way economically to supply a 'steady' heat. Forced air would be instant warm. instant cold ? I think.

Thanks for the help.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If there was a thermo on the steel rads, if the boiler was not on due to the main thermo in the cast room, it wouldn't make a difference cause heated water would not be "on" ? i.e. if the steel thermo "said" give me heat, there wouldn't be any to give cause the boiler would not be on, circulatory pump not running ?
If you replace the rad in the thermostat room, then the rest of the house would use the heat in that room to turn the boiler on and off,
If you make the rad vlave in that room work, you can adjust the amount of hot water running through the cast iron rad, allowing the steel rads to heat up longer. The rest of the house's heat would be gorverned by the room temperature of the thermostat location.

I find that you can usually pick up cast iron rads at a salvage yard (scrap metal dump) at a fraction of the price of new ones. Of course you will have to pressure test them . Some places will sell them by the pound . Scrap dealers usually offer about 3 cents per pound and you may end up picking one up for 5-20cents per pound from them (depending how desperate you look)

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You can probably get better efficiency with a new forced-air furnace than a boiler would provide. There are multi-stage furnaces that will run for longer intervals, as they adjust the BTU input according to heating requirements. I have a project where steam heat may be replaced with forced air, for lower operating costs, not to mention central air.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It depends on the price point you are trying to end up with, but a two stage furnace with a variable speed fan would allow the system to run at low temp for a long time, keeping the temp even. Another thought is to use a high velocity system - the vents are very small and are designed to go in the ceiling. You'd often end up with more than one in a room depending on the size, which helps to keep temps more even.

BigLou

Reaction score
You can probably get better efficiency with a new forced-air furnace than a boiler would provide. There are multi-stage furnaces that will run for longer intervals, as they adjust the BTU input according to heating requirements. I have a project where steam heat may be replaced with forced air, for lower operating costs, not to mention central air.

Unless I am missing something here he has a hot water system. its possible to get a hot water condsing unit thats 98% efficient. They will also modulate and provide lower btu's when needed. They are most efficient when running at low temperature for longer periods of time. It will also provide a very comfortable heat.

Lou

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
What Lou said. Plus, hydronic heat is way, way more comfortable.

Mowin - where are you located? In NYC, there's plumbing shops that re-fit & re-sell cast iron rads, pretty cheap. Last time I checked, a few years back, they were going about 25-50$.

That said, I'm not understanding why you can't mix cast & steel rads on the same system. The cast rads have a built-in thermal reservoir, so to speak, so there's a lag... but if the room with the thermostat has a steel rad - what's the problem?

As long as your replacements are sized properly, there's no reason cast and steel should/would transmit a different amount of heat per cycle. BTU's are BTU's. Am I missing something here?

Lou - you know a lot about hydronics - any idea why it wouldn't work?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
any idea why it wouldn't work?
I never suggested it wouldn't work. All I suggested was that the house needs to be rebalanced with the mixture of heating material elements. There are extra steps that need to be taken for the system to be balanced properly ei; the amount of heat producing water running through a particular materialed rad

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Unless I am missing something here he has a hot water system. its possible to get a hot water condsing unit thats 98% efficient. They will also modulate and provide lower btu's when needed. They are most efficient when running at low temperature for longer periods of time. It will also provide a very comfortable heat.
Must have been the hissing of my radiators making it hard to think. I still think 'steam' when I see the word radiator, since just about nobody wants cast-iron radiators in their homes, if they have a choice. (At least I didn't include a link to the Coal Burner website)

Seaneys

Reaction score
There are thermostatic control valves for radiators that would work fine to balance the rooms out (or at least I think you'd have a chance to do it). They go in place of a shutoff valve.

That is a great idea.

All you need is a thermostatic valve. They even make them with remote sensors in case you have radiator covers.

Seaneys

Reaction score

Wow.... For total system efficiency it is virtually impossible to beat hyrdonic heat. It is simply much more efficient to heat water and move it around than it is to create and move hot air.

I'd stick with the hydronic heat.

Steve

Seaneys

Reaction score
That said, I'm not understanding why you can't mix cast & steel rads on the same system. The cast rads have a built-in thermal reservoir, so to speak, so there's a lag... but if the room with the thermostat has a steel rad - what's the problem?

The only issue I can think of is if the radiators have significantly different thermal properties. Some steel rads have very low thermal mass. They are not designed to 'store' heat. Most cast iron radiators that I have seen have large thermal masses.

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks