Basement toilet performance issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Pippin

Reaction score
I brought this up under another thread and I appreciate Redwoods response but if I have to start ripping out walls I would really like to have a second or third opinion.

Here is my situation, I have very poor performance problems (clogs regularly) with a basement toilet. The specs of this toilet are 1.6 gpf. Inside the tank I see the following "SASA Tank 412" "Oct 2002".

1. The upstairs toilet is directly above the basement toilet.

2. When the upstairs toilet is flushed the bowl water level in the basement toilet fluctuates.

3. There is only one vent on the roof above the two full bathrooms, kitchen and laundry room . The vent pipe on the roof is a 4 inch pvc.

4. I can add water to the bowl to increase the water spot up to a certain size but when I flush the toilet the water spot does not come close to the size of the "full" water spot.

Thoughts? Advice? Questions?

Regards,

Pippin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typically, the toilets overfill. Take the cover off the tank off, and flush. Make sure that the hose is directing all of the water into the overflow tube. If that tube was not installed properly the first time, it may have come off at one end or the other. It's hard to kink it, but I suppose that could happen, too.

Pippin

Reaction score
Krow,

I think you may have nailed it. The fill tube was only producing a small slow flow of water that was not enough to fill the bowl totally.
The flush of the upstairs toilet does undulate water in the basement bowl still but does not affect the level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks