Losing water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

pisgahmountain

Reaction score
There are 3 houses on one pump. The pressure switch on the pump reads 52 psi while the pressure on the air tank reads 38 with a tire guage. I can't find any leaks anywhere yet all 3 houses have experienced a decreasing water pressure for days. Any suggestions would help.

R

Rancher

You didn't say if you drained all the water out of the pressure tank when you made that 38 psi measurement, if you didn't then both pressures should have read the same. I suspect that if you are experiencing water pressure problems, then the pressure on the gauge is not correct, does it change or is it stuck at 52.

The tubing to both the gauge and the pressure switch does get clogged up with crud and cause the kind of problems you are seeing.

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have any info on the type of pump system you have? If you have any water treatment on the system, like a down flow neutralizer or cartridge filter, i would check and make sure neither of them are clogged. If there is a by-pass on the filters or in the plumbing, put the sytem in bypass and see if the pressure improves. If you dont have any treatment, i would make sure your pressure gauge is good, run a garden hose off the tank, turn it on all the way, and measure what you have for water flow and pressure.

Sammy

pisgahmountain

Reaction score
You didn't say if you drained all the water out of the pressure tank when you made that 38 psi measurement, if you didn't then both pressures should have read the same. I suspect that if you are experiencing water pressure problems, then the pressure on the gauge is not correct, does it change or is it stuck at 52.

The tubing to both the gauge and the pressure switch does get clogged up with crud and cause the kind of problems you are seeing.

Rancher
Thank you for the reply. The water was not drained when the 38 psi was taken and the 52 psi does change. It appears that the pressure tank is not producing enough pressure for some reason and when the valve is pushed on the pressure tank no water is coming out so maybe no internal problem or so I think.

pisgahmountain

Reaction score
Do you have any info on the type of pump system you have? If you have any water treatment on the system, like a down flow neutralizer or cartridge filter, i would check and make sure neither of them are clogged. If there is a by-pass on the filters or in the plumbing, put the sytem in bypass and see if the pressure improves. If you dont have any treatment, i would make sure your pressure gauge is good, run a garden hose off the tank, turn it on all the way, and measure what you have for water flow and pressure.

Sammy
Its just a 40/60 switch on a pump with a well about 85 feet deep. I don't have any thing else except the pressure tank which holds about 60 gallons I would suppose. Also no by pass system. Thank you.

R

Rancher

Thank you for the reply. The water was not drained when the 38 psi was taken and the 52 psi does change. It appears that the pressure tank is not producing enough pressure for some reason and when the valve is pushed on the pressure tank no water is coming out so maybe no internal problem or so I think.
Well there is a problem, because both the pressure on the tire valve and the gauge should read the same if there is no water use at the time, and nearly the same if there is water usage.

So start trouble shooting on why the pressure is not the same.

The pressure tank doesn't produce pressure, the pump produces pressure, 52 psi is plenty of pressure, I suspect the gauge and switch are not seeing the real water pressure, which is what you are reading from the tire valve.

Worst case replace all 1/4" pipe to the switch and gauge, and the switch and gauge itself, that will probably cost all of $30.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks