Toilet flange and seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

James Aiello

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new flange for my toilet. PVC with metal ring. On the PVC end
there is a red rubber gasket. The PVC is slightly larger then my pipe in the
floor.
The original pipe in the floor looks to be a old cast iron elbow that they just put the wax gasket on and then bolted the toilet to some rigged up bolts.
The top of the old cast iron pipe seams to have some kind of lead metal on it.
Maybe a old seal? I don't see any threads, so I was thinking they filled them
in and that's why I'm having trouble fitting the new flange.
Can I just grind away some metal and fit the new flange? Also will I have
any leaking issues?

thnks
James

Attachments

• toilet flange.jpg
    toilet flange.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 470

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The top of the old cast iron pipe seams to have some kind of lead metal on it.
From what you are describing, it sounds like an old lead (4"0) drain that haed the floor flange removed. What you may be seeing is the old lead solderd to and existing brass furrelle which is chaulked with lead into a cast iron fitting.

If I'm right, someone "jerry-rigged" a flange to fit

James Aiello

Reaction score
What can I do to make it work... Am I doing the right thing with the flange
I have?

thanks
James

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would advise to get professional help on this. One thing that a plumber might do if there is access below the floor, is to cut the closet bend or elbow off and use a banded coupling to attach PVC pipe and go with PVC on up. I would not suggest you even attempt to grind or otherwise hack this thing anymore than it already has been. The old adage, "Two wrongs don't make a right" applies here. Yes, this will cost you some dollars, but if you screw it up and try to get by with a hack job that fails, you'll end up not only with a plumbers bill, but perhaps new flooring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks