Bathtub Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

hartlbb

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a very frustrated do it yourselfer. I have completed almost all of my bathroom remodel. I completely gutted the bathroom, put in the drywall, did some plumbing, tile, paint, etc. I then made the HUGE mistake of not checking to see if the valves are interchangeable prior to putting the drywall on. So, right this second I have the "rough end" of my old buthtub valve sticking through my new tub surround and I have thrown out the old handle/plate used to open/close the valve. Is there anyway that I can put a new handle on it without knowing the brand? Or, could I just open the hole a little bit and put in a new valve from a new fixture set for the bathtub? I am so close to being done with this remodel and just want to get this done. Any help is appreciated! I could also take a picture and upload it somewhere.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
You could try trial and error process. (It could get costly)

You may be able to find universal handles and plates to fit (not recommended. That looks crappy)

You might think about replacing the entire control using a "renovation plate". Moen makes one and Delta makes one for their single handle tub and shower valves. The renovation plate will cover the hole that you will be making to replace the old valves . (Its a little bit of work involved. Estimated time for entire procedure 3-4 hours)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to have a big enough hole in the fibreglass to change parts when needed. If it is a single control, something about 5" diam is appropriate. Post a picture and we might recognize the brand. Otherwise, take the "innards" out and take to a plumbing supply for ID. Hope it is a common brand that parts are still available!

hartlbb

Reaction score
This should work:

pp-shower-old-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monkey2

Reaction score
Can you open the wall behind the valve? Sometimes Plumbers in your area have "squirreled" old valve parts .. for us .. like you..

I'm a newbie, can't figure how to post, but I have an old crane shower valve '66 vintage that needs repair, how to dissable .. etc . cold ok but only lukewarm hot now.

How to post pic..

Monkey2

Hi there,

I am a very frustrated do it yourselfer. I have completed almost all of my bathroom remodel. I completely gutted the bathroom, put in the drywall, did some plumbing, tile, paint, etc. I then made the HUGE mistake of not checking to see if the valves are interchangeable prior to putting the drywall on. So, right this second I have the "rough end" of my old buthtub valve sticking through my new tub surround and I have thrown out the old handle/plate used to open/close the valve. Is there anyway that I can put a new handle on it without knowing the brand? Or, could I just open the hole a little bit and put in a new valve from a new fixture set for the bathtub? I am so close to being done with this remodel and just want to get this done. Any help is appreciated! I could also take a picture and upload it somewhere.

hartlbb

Reaction score
I can but it's going to be difficult. Where the tub sits, the adjacent wall is where the lazy susan is in my kitchen. It's a messy situation. To add a pic use the img tags:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No trim that I've seen will work on that valve as it is currently positioned - it is sitting too far outside of the finished wall.

monkey2

Reaction score
Crane Shower Mixer

The mixer valve about '1966 vintage. the cold water good flow, hot water now only lukewarm.. how does this valve disassemble? if I can get it apart maybe can modify to fix?

I'm guessing parts are not available?

Attachments

• Crane_mixer.jpg
    Crane_mixer.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

hartlbb

Reaction score
Crap! Man, I need help on this one. We have a kid due in less than a week and no where to bathe the poor boy! (except maybe the kitchen sink).

hartlbb

Reaction score
jadnashua - You say no fitting could work with that. So if the valve comes out that far, is the issue really around where the copper sits behind the wall? Is the copper too close to the wall?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
All valves have a specified projection through the finished wall so that the trim can fit and tighten up against the wall. My guess is that on yours, the flange with the screws is probably supposed to be even with the finished wall, or even recessed some. WIthout seeing the actual trim, it's hard to say (for me at least). A plumber might be able to remove that valve and install a new one at the proper depth. They make repair plates for the wall that are bigger (then, usually, the one that comes with the valve fits on that). A new valve with anti-scald in it with a new kid coming is probably a good idea, too. If you don't want to make the hole bigger, you'll probably have to go in from behind, and that might be more work.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
These are the 2 things you are going to need to replace that valve. The plate is about 13" wide to cover the holes and the moen 3170 trim fits over that. As I said in an ealier post, Delta makes one too

Attachments

• base_media.jpg
    base_media.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 377
  • Reno plate.jpg
    Reno plate.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 376

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You were too close and at the wrong angle when you took the picture, but it looks like a Price Pfister pressure balanced valve, but it is 14 years old I don't think they made it back then.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The threaded holes on either side of the valve body are used to hold the plate on. They must be no closer than flush with the finished wall, and normally would be recessed some as most people don't like the guts hanging out that far. Until you can do that, you won't have a viable solution.

hartlbb

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. Do you think I could by some kind of flange to cover it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks