New Bathroom construction

Users who are viewing this thread

brianh2000

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a foreclosed home. I would like to eliminate one of the 5 bedrooms upstairs and convert two into one large mastersuite.

I would like to turn half of one bedroom into a second master bathroom.

Heres my secenerio:

There are two bathrooms side by side, MtrBa and Hallway Bath. The toilets share the wall in between to the two rooms.

The third bathroom would be on the opposite sde of the hallway bathroom. The wall is shared by the hallway bathroom Tub...

My question is how far away from the Vent/or toilet drain pipe can I install a toilet? The distance from the new location to the wall the toilet pipe is located is approximately 10 feet.

My plan is to run the pipe below the beams and box it in the kitchen below creating a Soffit.

My concern is that whether or not a distance of 10 feet is too far away from the pipe going down causing a vaccuum problem.

I need this answer as soon as possible in order to make an offer on the house. The work would be done by a professional plumber and carpenter, but being that it is Sunday I won't have time to get someone to look at it before making an offer.

I desparately need this advice today as I need to make an offer on this house today.

Thanks...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't know where you are. Under the UPC, the trap arm of a toilet cannot exceed 6 feet.

Remember also that there must be slope on that pipe. A drain pipe must fall 1/4" per foot minimum, so the 10 foot pipe would have to drop at least 2½".

brianh2000

Reaction score
Thanks

Don't know where you are. Under the UPC, the trap arm of a toilet cannot exceed 6 feet.

Remember also that there must be slope on that pipe. A drain pipe must fall 1/4" per foot minimum, so the 10 foot pipe would have to drop at least 2½".

I am located in Northern VA. I suspected that this would be the issue.. I did have a guy look at it and he did say it could be done but would need a soffit. I questioned the distance and he did not feel it was a problem, but knowing he is a carpenter with plumbing experience, my gut feeling told me he was wrong..

and by the way you did mean 2 1/2 Feet'??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Six feet for the vent is the max for any code.
There are ways to bring the vent back though.
Keep in mind, that with the new tiolet designs, venting is becoming more important, not less.
When I redo my bathrooms, I will be changing the rough-in, which was fine for 1978 plumbing, and run the toilets differently, keeping the venting more isolated between the two toilets.
As it is now, flushing one, will pull some water from the toilet on the opposite side of the fixture cross.

brianh2000

Reaction score
Six feet for the vent is the max for any code.
There are ways to bring the vent back though.
Keep in mind, that with the new tiolet designs, venting is becoming more important, not less.
When I redo my bathrooms, I will be changing the rough-in, which was fine for 1978 plumbing, and run the toilets differently, keeping the venting more isolated between the two toilets.
As it is now, flushing one, will pull some water from the toilet on the opposite side of the fixture cross.

***So what I am hearing is that 6ft is truly the max, even if allowed? Reasons, loss of venting, thus causing backups, etc? ***

I know the Director for Building Inspections and code enforcement and will give him a call tomorrow. Unfortuantely I had to go ahead and make the offer for the house...

Again my question pertained more to the functional integrity of going 10' .. This is a make or break issue, otherwise I will not risk having to tear it all out due to frequent backup's.. code or no code.. I'll look a better suited house...

Thanks again

brianh2000

Reaction score
Allowed by code

Who allowed it?
A carpenter?
Or plumber?

There are ways to have a vent within six feet, we're not saying you can't vent it.

I was referring "Allowed under county code". My question is really related to whether or not 10 feet poses a functional problem. I don't want to hire a plumber and a carpenter to do the work, only to find out that I am going to have problems later, even if 10 feet is allowed by code..

If this is potentially a problem causing issue, I'll pass on this house.

Thanks..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks