spongy tub

Users who are viewing this thread

pcm

Reaction score
We are very near completion on our bathroom remodel, except a problem has a risen. We installed a fiberglass tub, problem is when taking a shower in places the tub feels spongy under our heels.

There is now limited space to work freely. At one end there is a axcess panel to get under the front part of the tub. I can also use a hole saw to gain axcess from the basement also.

My question is I need a pour-able compound to help support the tub in places. By pour-able I am thinking something I could possibly pour through a funnel with a hose attached. I was thinking abt the expandable foam but not sure if it would be rigid enough.

HELP? anyone please.:)

Thanks, pcm the novice DIYer

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
We are very near completion on our bathroom remodel, except a problem has a risen. We installed a fiberglass tub, problem is when taking a shower in places the tub feels spongy under our heels.

There is now limited space to work freely. At one end there is a axcess panel to get under the front part of the tub. I can also use a hole saw to gain axcess from the basement also.

My question is I need a pour-able compound to help support the tub in places. By pour-able I am thinking something I could possibly pour through a funnel with a hose attached. I was thinking abt the expandable foam but not sure if it would be rigid enough.

HELP? anyone please.:)

Thanks, pcm the novice DIYer

expanding foamwould be rigid enough but you need to be carefull how you apply it. You need tofill the tub with water and keep it full untill the foam cures. Additionally you need to put the right amount of foam in the right place(s).

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
No, do not use foam! Its density is insufficient and it will crush over time. I have already been there and done that and had to re-do it.

Getting grout or mortar in under your tub might be a little difficult, but it can be done and you only have to do it once. Also, do not fill the tub with water while injecting mortar. Having water in the tub would not hold foam back, but it could depress the bottom of your tub and leave you with a gap after the mortar cures.

Here are some mortar-moving devices:
http://www.capcityequipment.com/grout.html

pcm

Reaction score
Ok foam is now out of the question. I do want to make this a one time fix. There are a couple of concrete wizards here in town that are going to come over and see what they have for me to borrow to fix the problem.

Sounds like mortar is going to be the fix.

pcm

Reaction score
leejosepho,

Thanks for the heads up on the foam. We used ultraplan plus floor leveling compound. Acts like a very pour-able grout mix. So far everything looks great. There seems to be support under the whole tub now.:)

Was pretty tuff getting under the tub to seal any little crack that the compound might flow through. So tuff that after I started pouring it under the tub, I asked my wife to check down stairs and see how it was looking.

Her reply was ummm dear we have a few small leaks. :confused:When I asked how bad. She replied back with something like, "our soaker hose for the garden has less holes to leak from then your seal job.:eek:

Well to make a long story short I sealed the places where the compound was escaping and it looks very good now.

Thank you very much! I really do appreciate all the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks